h1 - stuffing?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by webloewe, Jul 27, 2010.

1. webloewe

webloewe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

I've seen at an webshop with more than 10 h1 - headlines in one of the categories. This category and all sites behind were not indexed in Google.

Have You seen this phenomenon anywhere too. Have Google punished this sites?

Thanks webloewe

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum webloewe, thanks for joining and asking your question.

The use of H1 tags was quite important in the past. However, it has much less impact on your search engine rankings now. The main search engines use your content, plus the number and quality of your backlinks to determine your site's ranking.

If Google see you over using H1 tags, they may view that as a signal that you are spamming or trying to trick their search engine and penalise your site for it. (Saying that, if Google has penalised the site, I would say that it is more likely to be a result of some other black hat trick done by the site owner). However, if you use H1 tags, they way they should be used, i.e. to display your text in a reader friendly manner to your visitors, you should have nothing to worry about.

3. driansmith

driansmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I think that is highly unlikely the sites are 'punished'. I think maybe the page is being 'devalued' as it is quite obvious there is an inappropriate use of tags.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Having lots of H1s on your site's content greatly destroys the readability and design of your site.
    I mean, it's not easier to read for a normal web surfer.

5. driansmith

driansmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would agree GekiDan - except of course the visual impact may not be reduced as you say if css is applied.
    Even if css is applied though, the search engine will see the abnormal formatting with the use of a large number of H1 tags compared to ordinary body text.