Gym Memberships?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Jay., Feb 10, 2013.

1. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently joined my local gym and I think having a subscription has helped me massively. The price is reasonable and it entitles you to use all of the features at any time of day. Having a subscription that's already been paid for makes me more likely to go (rather than paying for each individual session).

I was just wondering whether any of you guys and girls have gym memberships?

(I should point out that I am quite lucky and live very close to my local gym).

2. NateAnglin

NateAnglin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Jay,

It is GREAT to see you taking an active role in fitness. You are one step closer to being a truly fit business professional.

Me personally, I teach other professionals to avoid the gym at all costs. I talk about this on my site and will have more to come on this topic as it can be dense to cover all at once.

But, you are very fortunate you live near a gym. I wish you all the best and keep pounding the iron!

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't feel the need of Gyms..I am from country of " Yoga" which is incorporated as a daily part of our lives...... So gym is not required to maintain fitness level..Just jogging and little bit of yoga along with prayanam does it fine for me atleast... :)

4. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks NateAnglin, I'd be very interested to know why you tell other professionals to avoid the gym though? I presume you mean it's time consuming and a big distraction?

Thanks for both your replies.

5. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I used to have a gym membership, but came to the conclusion it was cheaper and less time consuming to work out at home.

6. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Jay, I personally think Gym is the best way to keep yourself fit and active. Not only it helps to boost you but it can make your body flexible and solid. I have gone in Gym and it goods to see the body shape of trained one and gives you encouragement to be like one. Therefore, it can also reduce chance of getting hit or robbed when you have great body structure. So, I recommend people to go Gym and make their body for self defense too. It can also make your more younger.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many people do find this, although whilst there are obvious benefits, there's not the same amount of equipment, you'd have to spend a fortune to get anywhere near the same level of machines. I'm not saying you need all the weights and all the machines, but it can still be expensive to buy gym equipment for yourself. The other issue I'd have with only working from home is finding the distinction between working out and relaxing. My home is where I want to chill out, not necessarily be breaking into a sweat. Good luck with your progress anyway, different methods suit different people of course.

I do feel there's a common misconception about 'going to the gym'. Just because you go, doesn't mean you want to become an Olympic athlete or a bodybuilder, it's a good way of just staying generally fit and perhaps toning your body a little.

8. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I figured out that you can meet very influential people in the gym (rather high quality). It's sounds funny but you actually your gym buddy can become your employee or business partner ;) And what's the most important you can get better results than in home ;) Paying for gym membership is also a very good motivation for people who get bored quickly :)

9. NateAnglin

NateAnglin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You got it. Time consuming and a big distraction is the key reason not to mention wasting money when you can get the same results from your garage. It's one thing if you want to become a bodybuilder, but for most of us we have other passions we would like to indulge in. It's really a matter of preference but I carry single digit bodyfat (mostly from my nutrition) and weigh in at 190lbs. The reason I say this is because their is this notion you "have" to go to the gym to look good and its not true. With nutritional intake, 2 - 3 20 to 30 minute workouts each week, playing as much as you can (i.e. running around the house with the kids, playing basketball or ultimate frisebee), walking as much as you can throughout the day, and a sprint routine ever week or every 10 days you will get results. What sounds more fun? The average gym dweller spends roughly 2 hours traveling to / from the gym and working out at the gym.

By avoiding the gym you can have more fun and do it in a reasonable amount of time since business professionals time is scarce. It helps free their mind of stress. And who doesn't like to play a little. The gym can't give you this.

Sorry for rambling ;-).

10. NateAnglin

NateAnglin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I want to add that I'm not totally against the gym. It's nice to lift iron and be a little social. If I had more time I would be their more often but my view comes from people who just don't have time and need to get results. You don't need the gym to get results but it has it's benefits as well. Like I said before it's really a matter of opinion, your time and what your ultimate goals are.

• Like Like x 1