Guest Blogging is Dead, What's Will be next ?

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by James12smith, Feb 5, 2014.

1. fisicx

fisicx
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Liaison 1.0

It could be but in the majority of cases it isn't. The sort of sites that are going to help your ranking are going to heavily moderate any guest blog. If there is no moderation than the site should be avoided at all costs.

2. Brian Driscoll

Brian Driscoll
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am going to have to disagree with, "you just got to make great, unique content." Yes, that is part of it, but the reality is this, "you have to leverage your guest posts in some way."

And I say that if someone wishes to benefit from their guest post, not just the SEO aspect of gaining a high-quality backlink.

If anything, I just think the competition grew, as with any popular technique. (Are you going to skyscraper a 145 reason post?)

Here is what I would suggest:

1. Leverage downloadable content upgrades with your branding (if the website allows it).

2. Make it very actionable and specific (How I Drove 13,567 Visitors in 35 days). <-- People love this stuff, and often search for more of it.

3. Include a call to action in your author bio with a link to your website.

Just got to go deep (like spend crazy amounts of hours getting it right).

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Although I agree with the idea, the example you give is a vey poor one. Articles of this type are usually junk, or describe a technique that gives a burst of mostly worthless traffic, for a short period of time. As such, they probably would not be accepted by any blog worth submitting to. Can you provide examples of this type that are actually worth reading? Where were they submitted?

4. Brian Driscoll

Brian Driscoll
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not saying to make a blog about gaining huge amounts of traffic in a short amount of days. As well,blogs like that can show relevant tactics (because tactics change fast, 10 months ago SEO was a different game). But now I am getting off-topic.

You are right though that this may not be the greatest example.

But I don't think I could really summarize the thoughts in a forum post. I would refer to Tim Soulo's article (Ahref's lead marketer) called Guest Post ROI: The data behind 273 guest posts says its no good.

But here is an important point to make: Guest posting isn't the silver bullet it once was. Just like email marketing use to be in the late 90s (if you did it right and got ridiculous open rates < -- not old enough to have been working at the time, taken from information I have read and heard).

For all of these tactics that we discuss, they all work... but you have to think of every angle a guest blog can help you:

1. Can I gain a back link within the post that is relevant (less chance of being edited out) .
    2. Is this blog worth submitting to? (Considering traffic, audience type, possible connections, and ability to create relevant bad-ass content for that blog).
    3. If you gain traffic, are you ready to leverage that traffic into email subscribers (got a convincing lead magnet? Have great content of your own?)
    4. Many more reasons that I can't come up with right now.

There are just way too many ways to think about it, so again, if anyone wants to really look at guest blogging in terms of their holistic marketing strategy, go ahead and read Tim Soulo' blog first to get a feel for guest posting.

I think a better question is, "how could you integrate guest posting into your marketing plan. Is it worth the time? Is there a better way to achieve 'x' result?"

5. Penny_Saver2016

Penny_Saver2016
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I absolutely agree! What you have to remember is to ensure that you are reaching out to sites that have relevance to your content. And make sure that you are writing an original content and not just you copied from other websites.

However, if you would like to consider other campaigns to market your site or increase its SERP, you can also do blog and forum commenting (again, only consider those that are relevant to your site), blog creation and posting. Some are even buying backlinks as what I have read from other sites. So all these are considered effective strategies of SEO. You just have to follow some guidelines to avoid spamming and being penalized by Google.