Greetings! Allow me to introuce myself...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chrisklinger, Jan 16, 2010.

1. chrisklinger

chrisklinger
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for reading...

My name is Chris. I own and operate a small, and rather multifaceted, business in Fortaleza, Brazil, in a rented 4-story, 400 sq. meter total, building in the downtown area, on the corner of the main town square. Pedestrian traffic in front of my store averages 18,000 a day, though a high percentage lives in poverty.

Opened in 2000 as a photolab and photo studio, on the then-not-unrealistic projection of still having several viable years for that industry.

In 2005, as digital took over far faster than expected and sales plunging, the search for a viable alternative led to the decision to transform the ground floor into a cyber-café; probably the most costly mistake I've ever made. Sales were well below worst-case scenarios outlined in my business plan. Fortunately, the photo studio segment continued as normal.

Saddled with debt after three years of losses, complicated by the insane interest rates here (3.2% per MONTH minimum), transformed the ground floor into a beauty salon, retaining the bar, café and public-use computers. Inaugurated the salon in December of 2007. First 2 quarters complicated primarily by staffing difficulties, but since then growth has been steady and within projections.

Currently at 24 employees. Still struggling under a large debt load, but at least I can light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks again,

Chris
    www.studiosoaqui.com.br

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum Chris and thanks for sharing those details on your business with us. If you have any questions regarding your business please post them in our Free Business Advice & New Business Ideas forum.

3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome chrisklinger to BAF! You get solution to your Business related issues here. Just ask. :)