Great Outdoor Adventure Tours

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by GOAT, Mar 9, 2010.

1. GOAT

GOAT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello! I'm trying to start up an adventure tourism company, and I'm starting with a website. It's very simple and it's my first site so I can use all the advice I can get. I'd love any business advice as well. What do you think of my site? http://www.adventureswithoutlimit.com

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

GOAT your site gives a nice display of the services you provide to your clients. The home page design is quite basic but it is presentable and it makes it easy for your visitors to navigate to your various pages.

The "Package Deals Available" banner that appears on your other pages, looks out of place, when viewing your site in Google Chrome.

I'd be reluctant to include the "Priority for this trip is given to customers participating in one of our package deals" text on your tour pages, unless of course you are quite busy and are operating at almost full capacity. Some potential clients may find this a little off putting.

Your "All Inclusive Packages" link is not working.

The main issue that I would say you will have on your site is one of trust. Your design is basic and this will cause a lot of your visitors to assume that you are not a strong and established business. Hence, they may be reluctant to trust you for their holiday. Getting a good quality template for your site, would help overcome that.

Finally the text on your Registration Page will stop some of your visitors from registering. It does not inspire confidence that they will get their trip and this will be off putting for lots of people. Including that text in a small print section, below the registration form, would be a much better option.

Please post back with your thoughts.

3. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

GOAT,

You got a good site with really wonderful information and pictures. Let me share some of things which I found can help. Using my CODE method,

Content - Really good content with lot of useful information and straight to the point.
    Organization - It was very well organized according to the pages.
    Delivery - Your page looks good except home page. I would suggest to keep the page template same all over including the first home page. Why do you want to show images onthe topon home page. You can always have a gallery section for images. Also home page fonts are really not mixed and may be you can standarize and use only few font size and type. Contact can be a form instead of email. Registeration page could be better.

Effectiveness - You color combo is good and nice. I would suggest you to give a background border or something encapsulate them together or add a back ground color will emphasize your site more. You can still keep white background on text and other places but add over all back ground color layer which might enhance it.

Hope this helps.

4. GOAT

GOAT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks

Your replies are really helpful. Unfortunately I'm limitted first by a very simple software (Intuit/Homestead sitebuilder), but even more limitted by my lack of web building skills. Your tips are pretty doable though. I'm still working on getting a logo and figuring out how to do a border... I can't seem to find where the packages link doesn't work, it works on my browser. I wonder the link appears differently with google chrome. Thanks again, I'll see what I can do... You don't think the images accross the top is a good idea for the homepage?

5. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Understandable. It is not easy for me learn German same way if you aren't familar with web skill its tough to understand and code. But so far you been doing great. Overall site looks good. Just make these changes and it would do it.

If you want help on certain page or code, just send over the code to my email address and I can do small things for you.

Vijai

One more thing I realized, your website domain name is different from the website name or header. Search engines looks for it and expects it to be same or some what close. I know its tough to get the same domain name but you could alsways change the website headers to have same as domain. ANy reason not?

6. GOAT

GOAT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is a user friendly page width? I've got my pages set at 1000, is that too wide? Can I make it wider to fit more content?

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My screen resolution is set at 1024 x 768, this means that I can comfortably view webpages that are 1,000 pixels wide. The majority of website visitors (96% according to these stats) will have their screen resolution set at 1,024 pixels wide or higher.

You will see from the stats above that circa 20% of people have their screen resolution at a width of 1024 or lower, so if you make your screen width wider, you will begin forcing a certain percentage of your visitors to scroll vertically, in order to see your content. Hence, I'd recommend not going any wider.

8. GOAT

GOAT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, I've applied a lot of your advice to my site. If you could review it and tell me what you think I'd greatly appreciate it! I made a lot of changes to the home page. Thanks

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

GOAT, your site looks much better, that's a good improvement, thanks for posting back with an update. One thing I don't like about your homepage is the way your "Great Outdoors Adventure Tours Home Page" box with the brown background, overlaps the "White Water Rafting and Rock Climbing in Eastern Oregon - $500" link. That box looks out of place and makes your site appear a little less professional. You site would look much better if you got a logo designed and incorporated it into your header image.

10. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

GOAT,

It looks much much better but still the background is bland and takes time to load because of the image size I guess. You don't have to an image background. Just select some surreal color to with your website which projects more. Also you don't have to say HOME Page, just home should work.

As fergal suggested, logo would really brings out professionalsim in your website. I still see you are using popups on contact us and other pages needs to have the same change like home page. am I right?

Anyway, good going.. Keep working on it..

11. GOAT

GOAT
    uix_expand uix_collapse

new address

I purchased a new domain name (the old one still works): www.goattours.com I'm thinking of getting something else like goadventuretours.com I think that's available. the double tt in goattours might be kind of confusing.

The contact us does open in a new page, I thought that might be better, you don't think so? It is a form now instead of an email.

I'm still working on getting a logo designed, unfortunately my artistic skills are the only thing worse than my web building abilities. ;) And yes, I'll change the Home Page title, I agree that's not good. And the background...

Thanks again!

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update GOAT, why did you decide to change the name?

One small thing you could do to improve the appearance of the contact form is align the start of each of the input boxes. Nudge the first four input boxes to the right, until they are aligned with the start of the "Re-type Email Address" one.

13. houstonVijai

houstonVijai
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey GOAT,

Try to avoid popup. I am not sure why want to popup a contact page specifically. I know it might be your personal preference but not usual/normal process. As I said earlier, popup's can be blocked by popup blockers and you don't want that to happen. Also I like the goattours.com domain which goes well but you don't find any thing which explains your business like greatoutdooradventures.com or something which flows well and people can remember and search for. For example, my site firsttimecruising.com which is simiple static site but I got this domain because people think about first time cruising would search exactly that. Think about that.

Regarding logo, if you want help, I can do for a reasonable price. Let me know.