Great business idea but am stuck on the web design... please help!

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by kendee, Jan 22, 2013.

1. kendee

kendee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have started an online marketing business which includes referral style system, commission based accounting, community membership and products sales (e-commerce). i have searched and tried around for a suitable templates from "build it yourself" websites but none seem helpful. i have no academic knowledge in web design but built my site from ebiz and 1and1.

i need a website that can support lead referral, commission analysis for members, community membership with possible levels and products catalog. really seems like i need a custom design.

i am willing to spend money but not in the region where most web design companies will charge me. i have spent enough of domains and hosting and web designer to design a custom site who couldnt do much as he had just started web designing classes in college.

any ideas, directions , help or support will be greatly appreciated

• Like Like x 1
  2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

You've already tried to find a template, and that didn't work, so you realize you need a custom design. Have you tried any other website designers? You had one bad experience with someone who did not have the knowledge necessary to build the type of website you need. That doesn't necessarily mean that all website designers are not going to be able to do the job. Try getting a variety of estimates from various designers. If the websites they design accomplish what you need, and they are all "in the region where most web design companies will charge", maybe you need to re-think your strategy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

First of all welcome to Business Advice Forum kendee.

If you have what you believe is a good business idea, but not the skills to build the site yourself, I'd suggest that you hire someone to build it for you. If that is something you absolutely cannot afford, you might try looking for someone with web design skills who might be interested in partnering with you in the business.

A good web designer will have spent a significant amount of time learning and improving their skills. They will be able to design a site to a standard that you will not be able to reach, unless you also invest a substantial amount of time into it. Plus, this is all time that you could better spend on other aspects of your business. Hence, I recommend that you work with a professional.

If you do go down the road of doing the site yourself, I'd suggest that you start with one small aspect of it and then build from there. For example, you could start with the goal of building a site on WordPress that explains your business, how to contact you and what you are offering to your clients.

Yet another approach to consider, would be start selling your products on an external marketplace, such as eBay or Amazon.

Good luck with it and please post back with your thoughts.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kendee

kendee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"referral style system, commission based accounting, community membership and products sales (e-commerce)"

the e-commerce i could add up later as i already sell the products elsewhere, but the commission analysis i will need from scratch. i have viewed AcountPro and Netsuite but i think they are abit too complex or detailed for me and plus i wont know how to integrate it properly.

my budget of £2000 doesn't seem to get me any web designers as most of them start from £4000 upwards. currently seeking a freelancer to do the structure and i will add the flesh, which places should i look for affordable freelancers and what price range will you recommend for a project with these features.?

am not trying to build the next facebook but i need the parts connected together to make the idea work.

template on socialGo was great but not reliable at all as i lost most of my hard work. any social network template and commission based software suggestions will be much appreciated, thanks

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. expertali

expertali
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thanks for links

7. @TouchPointD

@TouchPointD
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Fergal--use outsourcing sites to find a good web developer who has the skills to do what you need to do and who can do it relatively inexpensively. Make sure that you check out their feedback ratings and their previous work. Keep in mind that you will get what you pay for, but on most of these sites such as Elance, you can find talented web designers who can do the work for less than someone locally.

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will suggest you to use Elance.. They have great system in place...You have mention all the requirements carefully and each details explained ...what you exactly want.. You can get different proposals that might suit your budget and quality of work can be accessed by you...Work Assurance is surely guaranted by Elance as the payment to the frelancer who will take your project...

Have a good start..:)

9. angelOnEarth

angelOnEarth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Kendee, I'm just wondering what happened to your business. any updates?
    :)

10. madelinekim

madelinekim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is very much important to design a website with accuracy and uniqueness for small businesses. You have to choose any reliable web designing company which helps you to fulfil your requirement and design perfectly as per the requirement. Here money is not matter but unique and user-friendly website is more important.

11. kadencayden

kadencayden
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are many free templates can be get from a lot of websites. If you are interested to go with Wordpress, there are a number of free templates are available to choose from. But, we need to work more to make it more appealing by customizing the codes and design.

12. singhabhishek251

singhabhishek251
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is possible in WordPress with the help of any newbie, the functionality he is asking for is pretty high level and need good level of code understanding. I do not think he choose any good developer from the freelancing websites, as he has less knowledge about that and there everyone pretend to be expert.