Graphic Software you use?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by FB92, Aug 6, 2011.

1. FB92

FB92
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What software do you generally use when you do graphics and what additional software do you use? I sometimes use Photoshop but haven't really had to do any designing for quite some time. I'm mostly a coder/developer so I just create images to fit on sites etc. But most of the time my clients give me the images they want to have on the site and the rest is just filling in a theme and putting up the content.

I use GIMP too but do not find it as interesting as a software than what most graphic software's are. What are your thoughts?

2. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think GIMP is a very good software program. It is very hard to use in my opinion. Everything is mixed up with it. I think photoshop is a much better program. Everything is much more organized and easier to find. If you need any help, feel free to send me a PM. I would be glad to help out.

3. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think GIMP isn't that hard to use if you have used photoshop yourself. thier interface is pretty much the same

#3 daytrader, Aug 7, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  4. eBiz

eBiz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Gimp is enough to work in general.

If we do not want to run a professional, it is not necessary to buy such an expensive program.

I mean, if we want to make it legal.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Is it easy for a complete beginner to learn the basics of Gimp?

6. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

for a beginner, GIMP would probably be as easy as it should if you know photoshop.
    I don't know photoshop myself but i learn GIMP and INKSCAPE thru heathenx - screencasters.heathenx.org

7. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've used Paint.net before and was quite happy with it. It has a variety of effects and was fairly simple to use.

Fergal- There's a software called Gimpshopdotnet, it's a modified version of Gimp and it's designed to work like Photoshop.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Gimp is fairly easy to learn. There are also many places that have tutorials for the program. The only thing I don't like about it is that I think its unorganized. It might have been that I have use photoshop for a while before that though. It takes some time, but you will eventually get the hang of it :)

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm using GIMP on all my graphics. And for using it for almost 3 years, I already knew the basics. Just need more free time to learn some advanced and expert skills. Still one of the best freeware that one can use to match the expensive Photoshop.

Here are some of my works...
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.118564934850524.7485.100000910539295&l=812fc42a1d&type=1
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.118589191514765.7493.100000910539295&l=a904ae7674&type=1

Not bad, right? Besides, I have seen some graphics designed on GIMP that looks much better that what's done with Photoshop.

• Like Like x 1
  10. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

11. MariahLinda99

MariahLinda99
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Link scape is for you too dear..
    You can use it.!!!:)

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Link scape? What kind of software is that?
    Or do you meant "inkscape"?

13. ace

ace
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use GIMP. I think itds easy to use and the most important, its free. Photoshop is good but it seems harder to use and also very expensive.

14. Terry Harvey

Terry Harvey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

GIMP is good for beginners and is what I used before I got into serious design. Unfortunately, you can't use GIMP forever. If you do, you will never get anywhere with designing. People who want to become designers need to be willing to pay money to purchase real designing software. There are thousands of them out there, but I highly recommend Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Fireworks, both of which are what I use now.

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True. There. Buying legit/licensed software is a good investment is you are serious on getting into the design business. But I have seen some other people who is in the design business use GIMP instead of Photoshop.

16. TheNova

TheNova
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When I started out making graphics, I used GIMP. IT's free and user friendly so why not? But the more advanced I got in making graphics I switched to Photoshop. Although it costs quite a lot, it's worth every penny you pay for it. So if you are considering which graphics software to choose, I'd suggest Photoshop. But definitely GIMP for a free version.

17. alexa007

alexa007
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Graphic software is a program or collection of program which enable to manipulate visual image on a computer. Nowadays some new graphics software is coming in the market which enable for animation and video editing. Many graphics software are available in the market but Face Changer, Global Mapper, Iscreen capture-capture text windows 7 are the best graphic software.

18. David Hawke

David Hawke
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really depends on what you're trying to do. I've used GIMP to create banners. If you want to know how to do something with GIMP type whatever it is into youtube, there is probably a tutorial. However for most of my graphics I use Keynote (Apples version of powerpoint) It makes great website graphics and it's amazingly easy to use.

19. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I like Photoshop, because it has great integration with others adobe product. For mobility GIMP is my best choice, I install GIMP to my pendrive and bring it everywhere. For simple usage, I will use paint.net instead of pain.

20. Terry Harvey

Terry Harvey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Photoshop is definitely the best graphics software you can get. Alongside with Cinema 4D and Fireworks.