Google's Penguin Update April 2012

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Mark T, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree, this is something everyone should know about. Was Panda, now Penguin, what's next?? Peacock? Parrot? Peanut?

On a side note, none of my clients were effected in a negative way by the Penguin update ;) Still sitting comfortably at the top spots.

3. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google is very creative in naming a product or item. Android OS with desert name, algorithm with animal name. Does anyone think off what is the marketing impact? Future all generic keywords like honey, ice cream, panda, penguin are showing Google sites and products.

The good news about Penguin update - SEO film focus on solid content and branding get reward.
    Bad news - SEO firm focus on link builder, link community, link scheme dead.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So, how does this affect webmaster's link building efforts?

5. redfeilds18

redfeilds18
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Worst algorithm update by google. we cant do anything now... just need to focus on content. this is how we can avoid bypass this penguin update. still showing very poor results.

6. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Punishing sites for over-optimisation seems a little rich after so many updates encourage webmasters to follow the rules. Now there just isn't any rules. It's all about content?

It's also interesting to see the difference in results from Bing in the example shown.

7. TomWbl

TomWbl
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the link. For the next update I'm predicting Poltergeist.

8. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I think Google's goal to improve the search results is exactly what users want, but this implementation of the change to the algorithm seems badly flawed. No one can expect perfect searches - some undeserving sites will always slip through and some very worthy sites will be overlooked. In this case, however, it seems like the overall quality of the search results has not improved and many decent sites have been relegated to the deep recesses of the index.

9. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Danny Sullivan made a note on that update...

And InsideSearch (Google's blog for Search Updates) also posted yet another intriguing thing in SEO:

10. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

meaning, those links that we build for years will now be worthless in SEOs perspective?

11. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When in doubt, focus on quality content and you will almost always be rewarded. None of my websites were affected by the Penguin update.

12. kevinjeffersons

kevinjeffersons
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are things that we can do, clean our backlinks, create a more descriptive title rather than inserting keywords on the title of our sites, check the internal linking of your sites..

13. deltahost

deltahost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A lot of site was dropped from index

14. garrett123

garrett123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the results still don't look very good. I notice the positions of my sites jumping around like crazy. I think they are still testing. My sites lost alot of traffic.

15. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Waiting for the Guerrilla update.. that will be Epic and more interesting than the Penguin and Panda.

16. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh, I thought Zebra update would be the next? Considering that Google [since Panda] starts using black and white animals to name their updates. After that comes the Dalmatian update. :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Actually, I thought they were using animals that begin with "P". Staying with the dog name idea, though, that means the next update would be the Pekingese update.

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Where did you get those "P" and "black-white" trend? Both Panda and Penguin have that. But what about the ones before them?

19. arindamdutta16

arindamdutta16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Search Engine Optimization of websites is familiar of two terms namely Google Panda and Google Penguin.Both of these Google Ranking Algorithms are designed to decrease the rank of websites that doesn’t follow the guidelines of these algorithms and guidelines for quality website as provided in Google webmaster.The Penguin Update launched on April 24. It was a change to Google’s search results that was designed to punish pages that have been spamming Google. If you’re not familiar with spam, it’s when people do things like “keyword stuffing” or “cloaking” that violate Google’s guidelines.

20. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, the black and white trends were just a hunch - since I notice since Panda [as I have said] they are using black and white animals if you would notice. Before they have used places to name updates, etc.
    Well here is a good background for those who wants to know more of the Google algo updates: http://www.seomoz.org/google-algorithm-change

Have fun! :)

• Like Like x 1