Google's method of ranking is irrelevant.

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by manishsqrt, May 22, 2015.

1. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I personally think that Google's policy of ranking pages based on links from other sites is irrelevant and impractical in itself. Let me describe what made me think so. First of all, let us think about quality links. According to Google, only quality links affect Google ranks in an efficient way, and a link from a website with high pagerank relevant to your topic is a quality link. Now, that is an impractical behavior. This statement clearly means that when your competitor gives its traffic to you, you will be ranked high. This means competitor must kill itself and make you grow, and additionally, it should do all this without money, otherwise it will be listed as a blackhat technique. This means someone should dump his business and make his competitor grow all for free, otherwise its unethical. Does that look practical in any sense? So, many people are wasting their time on backlink theory, which is hypothetical in itself. But, due to the popularity of Google, everybody is praising it. Please share your thoughts guys.

#1 manishsqrt, May 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
  2. Priyanka Sharma

Priyanka Sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think Google policy for all website is same because their is no physical person who assign rank for website its all automatic robots technology and all are working as algorithm. so algorithm works for all website as same as for ebay, facebook or example.com all website consider same for Google

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Your entire position is based on an assumption that is all wrong. Google, and the other major search engines, want to give the best results possible to visitors searching, no matter what they are searching for. A link is meant to be a vote for, or endorsement of, a page on a website. If that link comes from a respected source, it is much more valuable than a link that comes from anywhere. "Respected source" and "Competitor" do not mean the same thing. In fact, it is highly unlikely that a business will give a link to a competitor. You mentioned "pagerank" as one criteria for determining the quality of a link, but did not specify whether you meant "PageRank", or the actual position of the page in the SERPs, but I don't think it matters. It is only one way of determining a "quality" source.
    The type of "respected source" will also vary depending on the type of page being linked to, whether a business or personal page. A well-known actor can endorse a shoe store, and provide a link to the website on his/her page. A scientist can endorse a college professor's blog. Sticking with business, however, there are still other examples where a "respected source" who is not a competitor can send a link to another site. A business can link to the website of the company from which they buy office supplies. A contractor can link to the website of the company that sells his tools or supplies. I mentioned an actor before, endorsing a shoe store. The fact is, any customer of any business can endorse that business. Those who have a website themselves can provide a link to the business. It is then up to the website owner to determine which links are worth keeping. Links are going to come from a variety of sources, and any website should have a diverse link profile, with links from many of websites, as well as different types of websites. Unfortunately, there is, at the present time, no other reliable way of determining where a web page should be ranked in the SERPs. Until one is found, links will be the only way to tell.

4. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's not quite true. Links are not the ONLY way to tell. According to Google, their algorithm consists of almost 200 factors. No one would argue that linking is not still the most significant indicator, but there are many others.

As Google and the other search engines become more "intelligent" (and I use that term loosely), they can begin to weigh the accuracy of the site and return results based not on how popular the site is in the eyes of third parties who link to the content but on how accurate the information on the site is. See http://www.searchenginejournal.com/...ites-based-on-accuracy-of-information/127394/

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I knew somebody was going to catch that. What I should have said is that it is not yet possible to rank web pages without links. Because the original post was about links, I was concentrating on that. Google has tried ranking web pages without using links in the past, and it didn't work. Although they are now trying to base the ranking on how accurate a site is, the article you cite mentions a few problems. For example, what if the purpose of a site is not to report factual information? How would you decide the trustworthiness of a retail site or service provider? According to the article Knowledge-Based Trust would be a supplement to current factors -which means we're back to including links.
    I tried following the links in the article to get more information, and they didn't work. The point, though, is that links will be part of ranking web pages for now, as there is not yet a viable alternative.

• Like Like x 1
  6. tanishajain

tanishajain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dear Manish,

If it is your personal thinking then it's true, but when it comes to conclusion of all then it's meaningless. Because Google has the best search quality and it shows.