Google+ will catch up with Facebook, developers believe

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by GekiDan, Aug 4, 2011.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

About two of three developers believe Google can catch up with Facebook in the social networking scene with its upcoming social network Google+.

Source: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/228329/technology/google-will-catch-up-with-facebook-developers-believe

What do you think?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd be in the one out of three that believes it won't. I love Google, but from what I've seen of Google+ so far, I don't think it will overtake FaceBook in the near future.

3. Winflo Finan

Winflo Finan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's difficult to say, but if you look back at when Myspace was big, you would never have thought Facebook could reach it. But as we now know, it has. That said, Facebook is on a much larger scale and though Google+ will compete, I can only see it matching Facebook and not really dominating.

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think so. Google is good in search engine but google+ seems still need alot of improvement

5. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It seems to me that it can find a place all of it's own alongside facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. Once they allow business pages and profiles, I think we will see huge growth - even faster that is apparent at the moment with invite only.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a good point, it's risky to try predicting the future, there are lots of surprises and it is all to easy to be proved wrong :)

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, in my opinion, it's too early to say that they can overtake Facebook. Facebook has lots of fanbase and users worldwide, and adding games to G+ will not make it any better. I myself is having a hard time coping up with G+'s layout.

8. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree, I don't think it will overtake FB, but I think there will be a place alongside the other Social Media giants. Google+ has definitely shown great potential as it is still to early to tell how it will be when it's open to the public, at the same time people are familiar with FB and have come to rely on it for many different things. Yes there are privacy issues that many people don't like but a lot of it can be controlled if you know your way around the privacy settings. I think there will be new platforms implemented that will make it easier to juggle both accounts instead of running from one to the next constantly. Another factor is that once small businesses start using it for business purposes, if you want to keep your business on top of the game you will have to use it as well.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd agree that it is not the most user-friendly, I love Google, but I do feel that they need to make Google Plus much more intuitive and user-friendly, if it is to become really popular and pose anything like a serious threat to FaceBook.

10. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I honestly don't think it will need to compete with Facebook, I think it can co-exist. Right now, it seems a little "techy' and all the tech and net heavyweights are on there interacting with each other. I do agree that it could be easier to navigate, but as soon as they allow other platforms to share the info' like Twitter it will probably take off. Who knows though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have a point there. Even Facebook and Twitter co-exists because they have different target market/people. You can even cross post between sites...

12. Terry Harvey

Terry Harvey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My personal views are that Google Plus is actually a better network. The reason it won't catch up to Facebook is because it's more popular and older. A lot of people use it. There's not a lot of features that Facebook has that Google Plus doesn't except from the pages feature. I think they have a groups one but I'm not entirely sure.

13. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can't use that as a reason as why it can't catch up though, all websites - social media or otherwise - have to start somewhere just like Zuckerberg did with Facebook. Facebook caught and overtook MySpace, why not Google+?

14. GamingOn

GamingOn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that Google+ can beat facebook because google+ is in beta and people so want to get in. I hope it doesn't stay in beta forever like some companies do. :(

15. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Definitely the 'invite only' idea is working a treat, hyping it up.

16. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I worry it end up like google wave . There are many people interested just due to curious on it.

17. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not so sure, think it may be different this time, but that is just my gut.

18. GamingOn

GamingOn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes if you look around online u can find ways to get invites. :D

19. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just ask someone who is already on it, they can invite easy enough.

20. GamingOn

GamingOn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah most people (bloggers) have u jump through hoops to get an invite. Some offer free it all depends on who you go 2. :D