Google taking on Facebook with social gaming service?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Kay, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Maybe, maybe not! They're talking to the Farmville creators and look how popular that is.

http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2010/07/google-social-gaming-service-reportedly-in-the-works.ars

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think it'll work, in my opinion.
    I mean, why would I register again to another site just to play these games if I can play them on Facebook?

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There are so many people on FaceBook, that it's difficult to see how another site could compete with them successfully. As GekiDan says, why would I join another friend connection site, when all my friends are on FaceBook? A move into gaming would seem to be a change in direction for Google. Google's mission has always been to catalogue the world's data and make it accessible to everyone over the Internet, I'm not sure why they would want to move away from that.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not the same games, it's the game creators they are talking to. My guess is this project will be more like the way people who play multiplayer online games socialize by chatting while they're playing.

Interestingly Playdom was one of the companies mentioned that Google was in talks with for this project. News is out that Disney just acquired Playdom.

Coincidence? I wonder. :)

World domination, that's why. :eek: LOL. I can only imagine it's because they see what a gigantic success Facebook is and can't stand it.

Seriously, I'd bet they're worrying also about the ad revenue they'll lose when advertisers start spending more money with Facebook the more popular it gets. I was reading about updated ad spending research from analysts ZenithOptimedia. While they see a spending increase overall, their expectation is that mobile and social media ads are going to see the steepest increase in 2010-2011.

If social media spending is where the money's headed, Google's going to want a slice of that pie. I think Google's targeting the younger market rather than the more business focused, grown up market and that's where it will differentiate itself from Facebook. Hence the gaming. Maybe, maybe not. :)

5. realitybites.in

realitybites.in
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google Confirms Slide Acquisition, Gears Up For War With Facebook

Google is finally officially confirming that it bought Slide, a deal we first reported two days ago. Google did not disclose a price, but according to a source close to the deal it was $182 million. (With earnouts, it might turn out to be a bit more, but you can never count on earnouts). Slide raised a total of $78 million and at one point had a $500 million valuation.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/06/google-confirms-slide-acquisition/

6. Shole

Shole
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow thats a lot of money....

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Slide wasn't a name that came up either when the Wall St Journal originally published the rumors. This will be interesting! I guess we shouldn't forget how Google has dominated the search engine market and seriously damaged Yahoo's market share, the previous leader. I bet back then no-one thought they were a serious contender either. Since they already have a track record of coming up from behind to take the lead, anything could happen.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The Founder of Slide Max Levchin made $39 million from this deal, good for him, nice money from a company that started out making photo slide show software and moved on to create FaceBook applications.

9. jacobbon

jacobbon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I dont think that now any other social gaming site can take over facebook because it is on top of its popularity & adding more & more new features but if Google has to make a place in the market than it has to take care of security because in facebook the security issues are rising day by day.