Google Search Questions - Removing Google Personalisation from Search Results

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by JPM, Apr 11, 2011.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok,

So we have moved to the new domain a few days ago, and when I searched for 'Technology forum" http://www.theproductforum.com appeared on the second page.

When I Googled "Consumer Forum' we appeared on the first page.

My question is, is Google biased towards sites I have visited personally and remembers this info?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes it is, especially if you are also using the Google Chrome browser. what I do is use Google Chrome for all my day to day browsing. Then switch to FireFox or IE when I want to check how my site ranks for a particular keyword.

Another option would be to visit Google through a proxy site and do your searches from there.

Sorry but I just did a search for "Consumer Forum" without the quotes on Google.com and your site doesn't appear in the first five pages of results.

3. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I expected this to be the case in all honesty. I will check Safari also, as I generally use Firefox.

Thanks Fergal.

4. DavidL

DavidL
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, they somewhat extract your cache and deliver results which naturally the general user (you) would want to see. The best way to avoid bias is to use a proxy when searching through Google to check your results, or use tools such as Rank Checker.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks David. I've used tools similar to Rank Checker in the past and had some concerns regarding their accuracy. Do you have an opinion as to how accurate Rank Checker is?

6. himansu

himansu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I visit you forum its looks good and search engine friendly I would like this site theproductforum.com

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They basically use all of the information available to them in order to personalise and localise the results to you as much as they can. It's in an attempt to provide you with a better search experience, to some it's simply an invasion of privacy and to others it's a confusion when it comes to things like "rank checks".

The most prominent information they use:

Google Profile - If you're logged into your Google Account, your results will be personalised to match your profile history. (Obvious fix = Log out or disable search customisation).
    IP address - Depending on your search query (and whether they deem location to be relevant to the results, with different algorithms being used for different query types), localisation to your local area can have a major impact on results. (Obvious fix = Use proxies to search from different geolocations)
    Browser history - Even when logged out of your Google Account, your browser history and recently visited URLs will play a part and can impact results. (Obvious fix = Clear your cache / Use a separate browser where cache/history is always cleared on close)

All of the above, for most users, is a bit of a pain.

There are some slightly easier fixes you can try that will get you most of the way there:

Appending "&pws=0" to the end of the search URL will return the non personalised results (e.g. do the normal search, let google build the normal query parameters and then just add on to the end). You might want to look into further advanced queries that might prove useful, such as "&filter=0" (shows omitted results) or "&num=100" (shows the top 100 results).

Even easier, let someone else do the hard work. I'd have no hesitation is recommending either Google Global by RedFly or Joost's Disable Personalized Search plugin.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks a lot for those tips and explanations Paul, I've downloaded Joost's plug in on FireFox and it should be very helpful for when I do my monthly SEO reports.

I've featured this thread for future reference.