Google Pulls the plug on Google Wave

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Kay, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

And I'm so glad now I didn't spend time learning all about it. :D That's a bit of a shocker eh? I'm really surprised at them abandoning it like that after all the hype.

http://gigaom.com/2010/08/04/google-pulls-the-plug-on-google-wave/

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Wow, just goes to show that even the big guys can get it wrong some times. I'm actually a fan of Google and it's a shame that this did not work out for them. It was probably a little too complex to become popular, people were intimidated by it. Simple ideas generally work much better. Systems like BaseCamp seem to be more appealing to users.

3. vanesa7

vanesa7
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now we can say that nobody is perfect.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been hearing lots of things regarding Google Wave but I still don't get a chance to know what it is.
    Can someone explain to be what Google Wave supposed to do?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

GekiDan, the video below explains Google Wave, pretty well;

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rDu2A3WzQpo&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rDu2A3WzQpo&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

6. Shotgun

Shotgun
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow, I'm glad I never got into it.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you hit the nail on the head there as to why it wasn't that popular. I know that was my reason for procrastinating about learning it more or less. I just didn't want to spend so much time on something I may or may not use. I feel sorry for the people who did invest a lot of time in it. There's no way they could have imagined that would happen.

8. WebWizard

WebWizard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow is all i can say. Even google has trial&error.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sure they do. Companies can't afford to sink funds into projects that are going nowhere. Many ideas never see the light of day beyond the internal workings of huge corporations. It's quite unusual for us to see an idea like Google Wave from such a giant go so far as to be made public before being trashed.

Got to give them credit for having the guts to do that and not keep flogging a dead horse. :)

ETA I just read that there's a movement now created by Wave fans that want Google to reverse the decision. Think Google will care?

#9 Kay, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  10. ProfitClinic

ProfitClinic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So are we to conclude that Google got the marketing wrong (poor market research, testing of the market place, product development and testing, etc) or the selling wrong (failed to get enough people to want it badly enough)?

John

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I would say that the marketing was wrong. The product was too complex for it's target customers. Had the product been simpler and more user-friendly it would have had a much better chance of success.

12. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never figured it out and found it too hard to use. Well you need to go down a peg before you go up two.

13. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's too bad. It was nifty, I'll give it that.

14. WebWizard

WebWizard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Even the big guys make mistakes shouldnt be a suprise, usually the big companies make the mistakes we all endup feeling in the long run. Its good that they pulled something that wasnt working but I do know theres alot of support out there for this feature, so its disapointing for those who took advantage of it and liked it, maybe it will become a future private feature for those interested.