Google Penalty/Ban - Common Mistakes to Avoid while doing SEO

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by shakemelikeapig, Mar 17, 2012.

1. shakemelikeapig

shakemelikeapig
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had written this small piece long ago and posted in another webmaster forum. Was just looking through my threads and found it out. Most of you guys are already knowledgeable enough to know these things. But this may help newbies in one way or the other. So here it is.

Very often we unintentionally go Black Hat with SEO, which later may cause a Google penalty making us wonder what exactly went wrong.
    Here are few very basic mistakes committed by webmasters which go on to harm their sites big time.

1. Keyword Stuffing – So you have made a nice list of keywords to target for your site, and they’re used all over the content, meta tags and page titles and literally everywhere. DON'T do that. This is hardcore Black Hat that has once fooled search engines a lot, but no more, they are way smarter now. This can get you banned permanently. So be careful and creative with your keywords. It’s good to optimize your content, tags and all but don’t over do it. Always evaluate your copy first and see whether you’re being informative. Check your high ranking competitors, see how their content is structured and try to go one step above what they’re doing. Both your visitors and Google will love you for that.

2. Stupid Redirects: If you’d like your visitors to be redirected to your new domain, do it properly with a 301 redirect or by modifying your .htaccess file. DON'T do this with a Javascript or some other type of script. It might look cool to you but to Google, its not.

3. Improper Text: If your site has texts that blend in to the background or is too small to read, rectify them! NEVER use invisible keyword stuffed text. Make sure the formatting of the text is clean and simple.

4. Buying Text links: Buying your so called "Friends" or "Partners" is never a good strategy, though we all have probably done it at some point of time. Search engines have strict norms against this. Quite obviously its hard to catch you in such situations, still its better to be on the safe side. Again, if you really need to buy some, get them only from sites related to your niche.

5. Link Building: Now this part is tricky. All I can say is, be consistent with your pace of link building. Building thousands of links within a week and then sitting idle for the next 3 months may get you screwed by Google, so DON'T do that. If you are building around 50 links per day, go at that pace or keep increasing it slowly, but no sudden jumps or falls. Same as 4th point, better build backlinks on sites related to your niche(of course not possible in case of Web2.0 sites).

From what I have seen and read over the days, I understand that On site Black Hat SEO can be extremely dangerous. Off site Black Hat SEO can still be harmful, but the risk is not as high as in On Site SEO, because of the simple logic that you decide what you put on your site but you have little/no control over what happens on other sites. So take care of the first three points first.

I'm not some SEO guru or even close to that, so if there's something wrong, please let me know. All comments are welcome.

I hope you enjoyed reading it. I will update this if needed.

Good luck!

BHW

2. highpoint16

highpoint16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good post bro.. All points are correct and needs to be avoided.

3. stellaandreapark

stellaandreapark
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another thing, be careful in doing article submission. Don't forget to submit unique content each time.

4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is why I just gradually build links for my sites. I've heard enough stories about people asking why they were punished when all they do is building links. But they build lnks in an instant.

5. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm just wondering.. what's wrong with buying text links? Isn't that basically a back link?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Google rank sites in their search engine, largely based on the number and quality of links pointing to those sites. In Google's opinion the act of buying links that point to your site, unnaturally skews the results in your favour, in other words people aren't linking to the site because they like it or view it as a quality site, but because they are being paid for the link. You can read Matt Cutt's opinion on the topic at http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/text-links-and-pagerank/

• Like Like x 2
  7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But couldn't it be avoided if one looks out on what links they will accept on your site?

8. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would like to add:

Don't copy or paraphrase the content of others. This can be insidiously deadly because you can go on for a long time, then get hit without knowing why. Make sure your content is unique, original and high quality.

When it comes to link-building - make sure to diversify your efforts. Too many of one type of thing can backfire. What's in vogue today may be taboo tomorrow.

The above is not necessarily black hat. It's called being human. People tend to violate the above, so I thought I'd mention it.

9. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another thing, if everyone go for buying link, who going to purchase Google PPC? To maintain their revenue, they create new robots to penalty link selling site.

10. smartuser

smartuser
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yeah agreed in all point but think that articles submission will increasing your ranking also

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paraphrasing "factual" articles (not opinionated ones) will make a good original content, doesn't it?

12. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

True, it is still a back link. Although, Google clearly states that they don't like paid links or anything that is use to manipulate their SERPs. [~http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66356]

Yes, it can't be avoided. But don't worry about it. Because even if the competitors Google Bomb you with links like that or link build for a negative keywords (e.g. miserable failure), Google already figured out how to determined that. [~www.mattcutts.com/blog/defuse-googlebomb/]

That's a whole different story. Since buying links is different with Google's Adwords program. Although they both promise being visible in SERPs, Google exclude Adwords from the SERPs results which are organic ones.

Well yeah. But then Google has a detector from content echoes. I don't know if it's in their patent or I read that somewhere else.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Content echoes? What does supposed to mean? Can you enlighten me.
    Well, we can't really change a factual sentence unless we paraphrase it.

14. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll just make it more descriptive, the person who shouted is the source, the shout is the content, and the echoes are contents like the source content. Well because Google knows when was the content been published, the one who basically published the content first (second, third, fourth or fifth) is actually "the person who shouts" or the original one or the source. When the time passes, and more people publish contents like it, that's the time that the content is echoed in the web. Get the idea?

I'm just not really sure about the second question on how they actually measures the quality of the article based on the paraphrased. I know they're already making some changes in the algorithm that will have to do with semantics. So eventhough you do paraphrased the whole article if the structure of it will be the same it's basically the same.

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I get the gist of what you meant. It basically happens in most news blogs and sites.
    But how about if the original source is from a different language and translated to your language?

We can't really change the facts, right? Even if how many articles you write about a certain topic, as long as it is a FACT, so everything will definitely be the same.

16. gtt

gtt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes it is... but I wouldn't want to bother buying those links either.

Why would I spend for those unrelated stuffs when it's also possible for me to just do the searching myself and so I can always get relevant sites for my niche?

17. NIXSEOTeam

NIXSEOTeam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are still some things that are SEO-experts is constantly overlooked or completely unrecorded.
    nixsolutions.com/blog/development/seo-sem/how-to-ruin-online-business-top-10-seo-beginners-mistakes/