Google Page Rank is Overrated

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by GekiDan, Mar 10, 2010.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A quote from Peter Norvig of Google:
    Source: http://searchengineland.com/googles-norvig-pagerank-is-overhyped-37282

They seem to planning on taking off Page Ranking system and replace it with another system.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting. The fact that Google don't provide any facilities to display Page Rank to those using the Google Chrome browser is another indication that they are placing less emphasis on Page Rank.

3. eddane

eddane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed, it is of limited value.

How can you rank website on a 10 points scale!!

Ed

4. ShopDownLite

ShopDownLite
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yup this is very true that it is not correct way of ranking I think Alexa ranking system is better then Google.

5. wussa

wussa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why can't you? Well meaning it counts the site's trust and stability. :)

6. chrisdina

chrisdina
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pagerank is a source of income many people in online business, whether selling links, domains that have PR, etc.. if they taking off Page Ranking system, then it will disrupt the income of many people. :eyebrow:

7. GeorgeWalker

GeorgeWalker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with every single point. I think Google Pr is a waste and many people stop advertising their site because they don’t want to be penaltised but I ask what would you rather have … quality visitors or Google pr with no visitors.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum GeorgeWalker. I'd rather have quality and quantity of visitors every time.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal is right. Traffic is more important than Page Rank. But there are some things you do that can benefit both.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

One advantage of PR is that advertisers are more attracted to sites with high PR and they will use it as a guide to the authority your site has, with the major search engines.

11. wussa

wussa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is so true especially when your trying to sell a site. Which one do you think people will prefer. A site with 500K visitors with PR0 or a site with 250K visitors and with a PR7. Check Flippa to see the stats. :)

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Isn't the content that brings the price higher?

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree that sites do sell for a lot more when they have high PR. However, there is a danger with purchasing sites because of their PR. The PR is outside of your control, it is completely controlled by Google. They may take the PR away, shortly after your purchase. Valuing a site based on the fact that it is receiving good quality targeted traffic, is a much better approach.

14. KipFXDesign

KipFXDesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be fair, they never have, it was a bit like Google Wave, all press, all push, then just died out, the only thing that has kept it in everyones minds, is all the little PR sites that popped up saying how important it is, add this PR widget!

SEO has never factored well into it and now its just something layman think is cool, and us pro's laugh at.

All the PR4 websites for sale on eBay lol!

15. davidemarsh01

davidemarsh01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many bloggers are claiming that Google has punished them because their "PR" value decreased. When their websites used to be PR6, they're now PR5. When they used to be PR4, they are now PR2.

I contend that there's no reason to be alarmed. You haven't been penalized! It's a readjustment of their toolbar.

The PageRank meter on the Google toolbar is not the "real" PageRank. It's an abbreviation of the real PageRank.

That is, the PageRank value that Google uses to determine a website's popularity is a number several digits in length. You never see this number, and you'll never know the real PageRank of your website. The Google toolbar, however, will show you an abbreviated form of this number, in form of a single-digit number.

So, the "real" PageRank value of your website hasn't decreased. All that Google did was recalibrate the toolbar meter, so that it's more meaningful.

Consider this. Each day, thousands of more websites debut on the Internet. Each day, the top 100 most popular websites gain thousands of more inbound links. As time goes on, the PageRank of these websites are so high, that the Google toolbar can no longer provide a meaningful expression of PageRank.

So what Google did was redefine what differentiates a PR1 from a PR2, and so on. But underlying PageRank value, that is the "real" PageRank value, wasn't devalued as a result. It's still the same, assuming your inbound links haven't changed.

So to answer the question in the title of this article, "No" PageRank is not overrated. It continues to be the heart of Google's algorithm.

Source

16. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your post is indeed correct. But see to it that you abide by the forum rules and give credit to your source.

17. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think webmasters get too wrapped up in Page Rank. Ask the average internet user that isn't a techie and just surfs the web about PR and they'll give you a blank look. They go to sites because they like the content, plain and simple. They don't care what the PR is and neither should we! I've long, long ago stopped worrying about my PR and got back to why I built my writers site: for fun. For pleasure. For enjoyment. And you know what, the less I'm concerned about PR and the more about others enjoying my site as much as I do, the more interest I get in it.

One company's actions should not affect you in such a huge manner! Especially if even they themselves aren't too fussed about it. I'd love to know where this obsession with PR began.

Sometimes you need to step back and put your heart back into your site and stop fretting over something beyond your control that Joe Bloggs doesn't care about anyway! I want my visitors to know just by looking at The Cuckleburr Times that I have a passion for the subject and love to learn and discover new authors and books as much as the next guy. Worrying about PR and so on sucks all the fun and life out of it. I don't want my labor of love to turn into just labor.

18. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You are correct. I started blogging as a hobby. I like to share stuffs I know to the whole world. From the start, I really didn't bother on Page Rank, and traffic. As long as I can share my thoughts, I'm happy.:D

19. dominicfilip

dominicfilip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Google page rank is overrated.
    Because web traffic is what makes you money, not pagerank. Pagerank can be bought using text links and whatnot to artificially boost your PR high but boosting your PR won’t give you the web traffic. Getting more web traffic gives you more web traffic.