Google page rank and my website

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Lindra Vanz, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Lindra Vanz

Lindra Vanz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google page rank and my website
    Hi all, I have recently built my company a brand new sparkling website; it's very simple and just holds all the information that my current clients and potential clients need to know about the services we offer. To begin with I conducted a little SEO which placed us on page 4 of google's search engine with keyphrases 'Painting and Decorating Manchester' and 'Painting and Decorating' with very little backlinks and obviously 0 page rank. I then decided to SEO the complete website properly and started with adding more content to my pages because they where originally a little thin, added meta descriptions proper tittle tags and used bold H tags and alt tags properly.I downloaded a tool to analyze how well the site is optimised, it gave a score of 87.6% however now with all the pages uploaded i've droped to page 6 in google's search engine for the same keyphrases, i've also obtained roughly 100 backlinks from good quality sites with page rank 4,5,67!Any feedback would be much appreciateted.

2. Pet09

Pet09
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Initially the ranking goes up but to be constant at a position it take time. Also it depends upon your competitors and selected keywords.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Lindra if you would like some advice on your website ranking from our members, would you mind sharing a link to it?

4. Dorfy

Dorfy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When a website is first crawled google will place it quite high in the rankings,then over time as better SEO'd :~ sites are crawled again it tends to drop, and then it will fluctuate, it sounds as though you have done all the right things, now you need to sit back, wait and see what effect those actions have had.
    It's worth noting that there hasn't been a PR update since the Autumn, one was scheduled for December, but it never happened, it look as though that wont happen now until at least March 2013.

Some Tips
    Meta Data is now of low importance, Google places almost no importance on them, mainly because of keyword stuffing, the description field is also less important, because whenyou submit your site to Google it now asks you to provide a short description.

100 backlinks is but a drop in the ocean, when you get into the realms of thousands, then you have built up a backlink library, your inbound and out bound links should be contextual and within the niche, I would concentrate on your suppliers and those you have done work for. You also need to concentrate more on local searches, and local exposure, not wishing to sound cynical but I doubt someone in New York is likely to employ a decorator from Manchester England.

If your company has vehicles, ask for the site URL to be put on them, make sure it's on every bit of paper that leaves the office, that in itself will increase your local exposure, and it's relatively free.

For a business like yours customer testimonials are a must, not only on your site, but on theirs too ( backlinks), ask them if they will do a short piece about how your company did such a great job on their reception/offices, all this is free and increases exposure.

Hope this helps

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Linda,

There are lot of things you need to do for optimizing your website. Like you said you have done the on-page optimization. Now for off-page optimization in addition to backlinks from websites you need to do various things like article submissions, guest blogging, directory submissions, PR, social networking and social bookmarking.

And like dorfy said you would a lot more backlinks to see some results a mere 100 would not be enough.

6. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Painting and Decorating Manchester is a local search query. In my experience working with local search results, you want to have your business listed and cited in many business directories. And you want to make sure the information is accurate across all these directories you are listed in. Google in particular, uses the major business directories to collect information about local businesses. Yes, getting other sites to link to you is important. But, for local search results, getting your business info onto those directories is essential for a top ranking whether those business directories link to your site or not.

I would recommend doing more analysis on the sites/pages you are competing against in the search results. Analyze every page on page one in Google and see what they are doing differently than you are.

Also be very careful when manually building your links. If you overuse any specific anchor text in those links, you could cause a demotion to occur instead of a ranking increase.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Although Google does not place as high an importance on Title Tags and Meta Tags, if you include related keywords in your Title Tag, it becomes the heading for your listing in Google. The Meta Description, with related keywords, becomes the short snippet under the heading. This will help convince searchers that you have the service they are looking for.

The number of backlinks you need depends on how competitive the search phrase is. For a local phrase like "Painting and Decorating Manchester", you may not need as many, because you have fewer competitors vying for that phrase. For a more general phrase, such as "Painting and Decorating", 100 backlinks may indeed be a "drop in the ocean". However, I disagree that all backlinks have to come from your niche, and I have mentioned this before. Each link you get is an endorsement of your site, so ask yourself this question - who do you sell your service to? Do you only sell to paint suppliers, or decorators or painters? Of course not, so why only get endorsements from these places?
    Also, Google is now smart enough to know where you are based on your IP address, so someone from New York is not likely to get a result from Manchester, England.

Although rankings do fluctuate, and you may return to where you were (although I would shoot for the top of page 1, not page 4), the last thing you want to do it sit back and wait. SEO and rankings are constantly changing, so you need to keep adding more quality links to what you already have. It will, however, take time, so keep an eye on your results over time. If your rankings keep rising, keep doing what you are doing. If your rankings drop (again, over time), you may need to take a closer look at your website and your efforts.

• Like Like x 1
  8. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do you really manage to land an anchor text in a PR7 page? Or what you mean by that is you managed to get links from inner pages of a PR7 homepage URL? However, 100 links wouldn't be enough if you are shooting for the 1st page of that phrase. Besides, why are you targeting to rank in google.com since you are in Manchester? Is your business that big to deliver products from Manchester to U.S.?

Take a closer look to your efforts. Your website is new, if you screw things up, that's really a bad start for new websites. I think you should target local search first.

9. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not impossible to have a link in a PR7 website. Although what Lindra Vanz might be experiencing is because the website is new and when Google see some irregular backlink activity, the site's ranking will go down and then go up (that is if Google see's your website fit and have natural links.)

10. Michail98

Michail98
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ted has a very valid point, if your business is local - it involves a very different approach to backlinking and SEO. If it is local, one good tip I'll add is to ensure your business is listed in Google Places.

11. john_mclaren

john_mclaren
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Google Penguin update lay focus more on content optimization on your landing page. Go for expert SEO for designing of your landing pages. Pairing your key words with the right ads and going for local key word buying is one of the ways for getting high PR.

12. eelizasanchez121

eelizasanchez121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The meta tags are important you should use some meta-tags for your website. You should use Title tag for the keyword most important to you. Also have a good description, and good keywords meta-tag.

13. infinityweb

infinityweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Lindra , First of all you must know your competitors and your target keywords. You can use a good description and meta keywords to make it more appealing. There are many software you can use to increase your traffic.