Google Ordered to Pay $500,000 in Damages to Rubens Barrichello!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Fergal, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A Brazilian court has ordered Google to pay $500,000 in damages to Formula One racing driver Rubens Barrichello for the presence of fake online profiles of the driver on its social network Orkut.

No doubt this ruling will have an impact on the number of people who falsely represent celebrities on forums, blogs and social networking sites. Owners of community type sites increasingly need to become aware of what is being said about other people and companies if they wish to avoid falling foul of libel laws.

More here.

2. magician661

magician661
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm guessing that the team over at Twitter and Facebook will be getting very nervous right about now. With the number of fake accounts active on these social sites. I don't think this is the last to be heard in this story.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

This judgement will also have implications for forum owners, given that it places the responsibility of verifying identities on the site owner.

5. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

social networking sites are also majorly responsible for this, you go t any of them you will find a loads of the profiles of all the celebrities, not all of them are bad, but there should be a control mechanism for them

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree rebecca16 that social networks do have a responsibility to deal with celebrity profiles, but in practical terms this is probably not very easy for them to do. They have so many members and new members joining every day that it would be difficult for them to vet and approve every new member. I suppose they could take a serious look at every member profile that reaches a certain level of popularity.

7. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I wish i was the celebrity like him and i had to face the same 'predicament'.Jokes apart this is the price one pays for being famous.its another matter when you become a brand you end up making money every where even when your name is misused.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There is a lot of truth in that rebecca16, success breeds success. For example, wealthy people can buy instead of renting and can avail of a much broader range of tax reductions.

On the other hand we should all ask ourselves, if they are wealthy because they do these things, and not the other way round?

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Twitter did come up with a verification badge for celebrity accounts to display. The badge showed they had confirmed the account was approved. From that it's (fairly - no guarantees in life!) safe to assume that the account genuinely belongs to the celebrity.

If you look at Demi Moore's account for example, http://twitter.com/mrskutcher, you'll see at the top of the right hand column it says Verified Account. I don't see why Google, Facebook and the rest can't do the same thing.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Off Topic: I'm surprised that someone as successful and famous as Demi Moore, calls herself Mrs anything.

11. mandi

mandi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

wow the penalty seems to be too high to me,hope google will take neccessary steps to avoid these kind of things in the near future....