Google New Update for Responsive Web design is Coming

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by joy.linford, Mar 11, 2015.

1. joy.linford

joy.linford
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All,

Google has recently announced its latest update named "Mobilegeddon" is going to come on April 21 for responsive website (Mobile friendly).

More Google said, There will be ranking signal whose web design is responsive.

2. Kevin Peter

Kevin Peter
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Joy, am testing all my pages to the compatibility. Not sure if I have to come up with a mobile version completely :( As of now i only have 3 pages which are responsive and rest of 27 are not.

Is App indexing also necessary? Any idea on how it goes about?

3. nidhisharma091

nidhisharma091
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I checked this status and i found most of the sites are not mobile-friendly.I am goona be lost 20-30 percent traffic on my websites.

4. joy.linford

joy.linford
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Peter,

App indexing is not necessary but your website all pages should be responsive. It will not be impacted your desktop visitors but Google said that "responsive website is ranking signal".
    You got time till 21 April.

Best of luck.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Mobile responsiveness is only one of 200 ranking factors. It may be an important one, but it is not the only one. It is true that more and more people are, and will be, using mobile devices to search for the services they need, so having a site that is mobile-responsive is important, regardless of whether Google changes their algorithm or not. In fact, that's the whole reason for the change in the algorithm in the first place. Since more people are using mobile devices, it makes sense that they should be able to go to your site on the same mobile device on which they are searching. Google has always wanted to give people the most relevant results to their search, so if someone is searching on a mobile device, they will want to go to the site directly from the search results. If your site is not mobile-friendly, searchers won't be able to do that.
    However, we, and Google, cannot ignore the reason for the search in the first place. Even if your site is mobile-friendly, if it does not meet the criteria for the other ranking factors, it won't rank. So make sure your content is relevant to the query, that visitors can find what they need easily, and make sure your site is mobile-responsive. Don't concentrate on the latest thing and forget about everything else.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yourcashisonline

yourcashisonline
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Also checked my few sites and it's non-mobile friendly.

7. ellisthomas86

ellisthomas86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Looks like this update is going to be more powerful than the PANDA update earlier time last year. Well I run a couple of website designed in wordpress where in the templates I have opted for are purely responsive and I don't have to run behind anybody else. Hope I will not be affected by the 21st April update gonna come up.

8. caohongquang

caohongquang
    uix_expand uix_collapse

April 21 is the deadline of Google for webmasters to have mobile-friendly, of course Google will take a few days to a week launched a new algorithm runs.

9. JOSourcing

JOSourcing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not happy about this recent development at all, and truthfully, I may ignore it. Nothing on my website is related to or even appropriate for mobile devices, so why should I expend the time and effort to make it mobile compliant?

10. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Some people may equate "mobile devices" with "smartphones". With the increasing popularity of "phablets" and tablet computers, that comparison may no longer be valid. Therefore, although the anticipated widespread drop in rankings due to sites not being mobile friendly may be another "Chicken Little" story, making your website mobile friendly can help your potential clients reach your website.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JOSourcing

JOSourcing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow - you just hit the nail on the head. I did indeed equate "mobile devices" with "smartphones". I completely forgot about tablets!! So it looks like I have a tremendous redesign project in front of me. :-(

#11 JOSourcing, Apr 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2015
  12. CoolHandCol

CoolHandCol
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not just about what Google wants, it's what visitors to your site need. 72% of my visitors do so on mobile devices. I would be a foolish man if my site was not responsive

13. sulbha

sulbha
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Google prefers responsive design because it is user friendly as well as it has less configuration errors. So to be on a safer side, we should opt for responsive design.

14. Patson

Patson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Even I heard about the responsive design and my site is not mobile, responsive, so do you think my site it will affect my google.

15. vishaldharshan

vishaldharshan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly.The main reason of this mobile friendly update is Google like to provide the best search result to their mobile and tablet users.Previously Google has been shown the website on top ranking position which does not having responsive design format.So many of users were facing troubles while reading the information of those website from their mobiles.That's why google going to update the mobile friendly algorithm to give the better result.So websites should be getting penalize which is not designed by responsive format and losing their ranking on search engine result page.But the ranking will fluctuate through mobile searches only.

16. JOSourcing

JOSourcing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think there's something else going on here, vishaldharshan. I truly suspect that Google is going the way of Facebook's in-browser technology. Have you seen that? Where Facebook's mobile version encases some websites within it's own browser?

With Google pushing its app indexing, and with Google promoting its push notifications at the same time, it looks as though its mobile search will actually be an app that displays searched-for website within its own mobile software. It's all designed to prevent the loss of traffic (or use, etc.).

17. alastairbrian

alastairbrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

21th April is passed, anyone here felt any change in his ranks.

18. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

In the Google Webmaster Blog, Google announced that they had begun the rollout of the new algorithm update. In the FAQs about the update, they made two very important points. First, although the roll out began on April 21st, it will take about a week to get through the entire index. Second, although being mobile-friendly is important, Google still uses a variety of ranking signals, so a page can still rank highly even if it is not mobile friendly. There are other important points as well, and you can find them by clicking on either or both of the links above

19. SAP Online

SAP Online
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Today is 22 April and my non responsive sites are still at ranking. I think Google has launched this update for specific area not for all languages

20. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Are you checking your rankings using a mobile device? The algorithm change is for mobile devices only, not for ranking when searching on a desktop or laptop. Also, as I mentioned above, it will take about a week for Google to get through the entire index, so everyone who is affected by the change will not see a drop immediately. For you and all the other members, please do not submit a post that simply says "My pages are ranking" or "my pages are not ranking" unless you have something else to add to the discussion.

#20 Joseph.Shivell, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015