Google Latest Algorithm Update: A Big Slap!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by junglekid, Mar 3, 2011.

1. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On February 24th 2011, Google updated its algorithm in an attempt to improve their search results. Here's a brief explanation from Matt Cutts himself:

"...in the last day or so we launched a pretty big algorithmic improvement to our ranking — a change that noticeably impacts 11.8% of our queries — and we wanted to let people know what’s going on. This update is designed to reduce rankings for low-quality sites—sites which are low-value add for users, copy content from other websites or sites that are just not very useful. At the same time, it will provide better rankings for high-quality sites — sites with original content and information such as research, in-depth reports, thoughtful analysis and so on." (http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/02/finding-more-high-quality-sites-in.html)

Basically this algorithm change affects the rankings of sites Google considers "content farms", sites with non-original, crappy and low quality content, which will have an immediate effect on the organic traffic these sites get. Chris Knight from Ezine Articles estimates their traffic will go down by 50%.

Although this update has been launched in the US only, it generated all types of reactions like heated discussions, hysteria, bashing (even CNN and ABC mentioned it), because it impacted several well-known websites, among them articles directories (Associated Content, Ezine Articles, Articles Base, etc), document sharing sites (docstoc.com) and sites like hubpages, squidoo, answerbag, yourdictionary, howtodothings, and so on.

Here's a graphic from Sistrix that shows the keywords ranking lost by these websites:

[​IMG]

Source: http://www.markflavinblog.com/ezine...rd-by-the-new-google-farmer-algorithm-update/

If you'd like to read more about the losers and winners on Google's algorithm update go here:http://abbamont.com/2011/02/25/mahalo-ezinearticles-slapped-by-google-content-farm-update/

Now let's be realistic here: do you believe ezine articles or hubpages are low- level content websites??

In my personal opinion, in their hunt for seo+ranking manipulator criminals Google has made a lot of innocent victims... I won't be the least surprised if they announce an update to the updated algorithm very shortly...

2. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google always targeted those companies whose products or services which Google have not yet launched or they have been flopped. Like this algorithm has a direct effect on article directories and Question Answer communities and we all that Google Answers have been flooped long ago and Google is not so much popular like ezine is.

3. OliviaSSLGuru

OliviaSSLGuru
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The main reason for the such a big loss by the top article sites is because of the spinned content that was published on the their sites. These sites only reviewed the articles for its uniqueness not for its relevancy.

4. mysandyda

mysandyda
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well as it launched in US only we here are not involved :)

but I am surprised about the positions lost of several sites..I dont think that it is only because of spinned articles...

5. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If that would be the case article spinner software is not actually advisable as of the moment? As well as article submitter? Because basically this software continuously submitted duplicate contents right?

6. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If that were the case why did Youtube (Google's property...) - with all the crap and rubbish it contains - come out as a winner, according to this source?

NOT YET. Here's what Google says: "To start with, we’re launching this change in the U.S. only; we plan to roll it out elsewhere over time." So be prepared.

7. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My rankings are also effected due to this algorithm. Most of my backlinks were coming from the hundreds of bulk submit article directories and I was ranked very above against my main keyword which have very high competition. I was ranked at six position. But, now as the article directories does not carry any worth so as my backinks and I have been dropped down to 9. Now I need to make some new strategy to get back on my position and it is going to take a lot of time. This is truly very disturbing.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Perhaps because;
    • It is "Google's property" - it's not surprising that they would rank it well. Even if they didn't artificially rank it highly, they would know exactly what they need to do on the site to ensure that it does very well in their search engine
    • Because a lot of video content on YouTube is not hosted anywhere else
    • YouTube has lots of original content in the form of viewer comments on the videos they host.

I should say that the above three points are my opinion, I don't have a definitive answer to the question.

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the news junglekid. I don't know if this is related to the changes or not but it seems my site got a sudden boost in traffic after the date you stated there.

BTW, did the changes affect BAF's number of visitors coming from Google?

10. vikrantsharma1

vikrantsharma1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Absolutely, all these sites are used for nothing but building links. Have you ever seen anyone going to to ezinearticles.com looking for good information.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interestingly enough our traffic has gone up by about 10% - 20% since these changes were implemented, the increase in traffic is most welcome, thanks Google!

12. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes. Absolutely I do. eZineArcticles may have unique content, but when is the last time you went there to find an authoritative source of information? Its stuffed to the routers with crappy articles, often in poor English, with one sole purpose. SEO.

For kicking down EZA, well done Google. However, I'm sure many genuinely valuable sites will get slapped too.

Unfortunate for you, and you have my sympathy. However, it seems to me that this is exactly the kind of thing that Google is trying to knock with this update. By your example they have been successful.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with this one. To be honest, I haven't really visited EzineArticles for years.
    I have only visited it once to check out what some guys over at a webmaster forum talking about... And haven't used it to create any backlink...

14. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I guess now I should focus less on SEO and more on social media, one change in the algorithm can turn your hardwork in a piece of crap IO am not going to trust google any more now...

15. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fabulous! I've had the same experience with my sites, gratefully :)

16. freelancemom

freelancemom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi William,

Article marketing will still work -- but the strategy is different, and more time consuming. Rather than looking for hundreds of links from the same article, you might consider writing an original article that is good and offering it to a website in your niche with strong influence to use as article content or a guest blog post.

You'll only get a few links this way, but they will be relevant, quality links and I think you'd be really happy with the results.

17. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hopefully you can already see the disconnect between those two statements.

The only thing 'very disturbing' about the latest algo tweak is that it took so long in coming (it's the tip of the iceberg too, expect to see more steps taken to devalue other areas rife with spam in the coming months). While a number of innocent or high quality sites will always get caught in the cross fire with algo changes (google are still tweaking the changes to reduce such issues), the benefits of the low quality/spammy tactics being devalued is a huge benefit to users and SERPs. If you get the fundamentals right (e.g. not depending on spammy mass directory submission) you should find that the efforts to do things the 'right way' can give great rewards (e.g. look at BAFs increase).

18. David Hawke

David Hawke
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm glad for the Google algorithm change. The web is being bombarded with crap from people that just want to scam you. From an internet marketing consultant standpoint I like it too. There are tons of scammers out charging huge fees for internet marketing services that really aren't good. I think Google just exposed many of them as the website they were handling plummeted in the rankings.

Meanwhile the small businesses working with reputable online marketing firms continue to enjoy top placements! :)

19. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know that algo has reduced spam but again the question is... how Google comes to know that ezine and hubpages are mere a link farm I think this is so justice

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

William King Google crawls the web and they have very sophisticated technology that enables them to evaluate exactly what sites are doing and to determine if they are involved in any form of spam or black hat techniques. They also have a staff team, to support their spiders, and these staff will visit sites and evaluate them from a human perspective. It's difficult to fool Google to any extent.