Google integrates Google Voice in Gmail

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Kay, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Information is still coming out but they have announced that calls to Canadian and US landlines will be free until the year end. International call rates look cheap so far.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/25/google-introduces-voice-in-gmail/

2. jacobbon

jacobbon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well glad to know about this new service of google. Thanks for the update

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There's certainly been plenty of interest shown in this. I was reading that a MILLION calls were made on the first day! I think they can call that a successful launch. :D

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's amazing and will be a huge blow to the existing telecoms companies. Many of those calls will have been made by people trying out the system, and are calls that they would not have made otherwise. However, a proportion of them will be calls that have been lost to the existing networks and that's only day one.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google really is attempting to take over the world, aren't they? LOL. I don't know about anywhere else but here in the US the landline companies are already suffering. So many mobile service providers here offer free calling minutes every month, including packages that rolled unused minutes over.

Who's going to spend money on a call if they have an alternative? I know several people that have got rid of their landlines completely and only use their cell phones now. This will be a real blow to the landline companies, especially if it pans out as has been hinted at and Google keeps the free US and Canadian calls after this year's up. And it could also hit those mobile providers too of course, if their high usage customers that normally have to pay after their free minutes are exhausted, make the switch too.

6. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With Google Voice and Skype, yeah landline companies are indeed in trouble. We have considered dropping our landline for a cell service.

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While it is unquestionably a blow to the telecoms companies, it's a great thing for us the customers. It means that other providers will have to re-access their offerings (and associated costs) and ensure they improve the services they offer to avoid losing customers to these new and competing providers. (It's even better for those of us who have had terribly poor services provided by the traditional companies... <insert rant relating to Eircom and ComReg here>)

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh yes, it is indeed fantastic for consumers! I'm all for price wars. :D What irks me is when you see hugely inflated prices suddenly slashed because I'm thinking "Heck, they could have done that at any time!". Better late than never, I suppose. I'm not complaining. :)

My own international phone calls for example at now non-existent since my parents got online recently and have Skype, so that's a saving for me. You can't compete with free. Only trouble is, if they don't see me now every day they want to know why I wasn't on Skype when before a couple of calls a month sufficed. :)

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with Paul, the customer service provided by Irish telecoms providers is not something that they should be proud of. They treat their customers as if they are doing them a favour, by selling them telephone services.

I'm one of those people who only uses a mobile phone, I've no need for a land line and avoid having a second telephone bill.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it's kinda a normal thing nowadays. Most people want to have cheaper methods on contacting their love ones and using VOIP calls is their best choice.
    But since the service relies on the internet, it also have disadvantage depending on the internet connection you are using.

11. SissyBard

SissyBard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

google voice

I've been using google voice for about a year and it's really very solid. It is missing a few features that a paid skype account has but then again, google voice is free (so far). Nice to have it integrated w/gmail.