Google Ignoring Title Tags?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by Richard Edmonds, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Richard Edmonds

Richard Edmonds
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have any of you experienced Google ignoring your title tags and using generated content either from DMOZ etc. or simply adding extra related keywords to your title? I've written a brief article about the complaints that SEOs and webmasters seem to be publishing about their sites displaying altered titles within SERPs.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I checked a few random keyword phrases after reading your post, and found that websites that are ranked on page 1 actually have the specified phrase in their Title Tags. Even sites that were on page 5 were still using the phrase in their Title Tag, although as the Google rank gets lower, some sites had only portions of the phrase in their Title Tag. As long as the phrase is being used in the Title Tag, and is related to the page content, there is no reason for Google to ignore it. If the desired keyword phrase is not used in the Title Tag, the heading for the listing has to come from somewhere, so the heading will reflect where the phrase was found, or why that particular page was ranked for that phrase.

3. Henry_Jakson

Henry_Jakson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If Google is providing its users with more relevant and meaningful page titles, the SEOs need to shut up. No page title can be everything to all queries.

4. jonathan10387

jonathan10387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google has already explained this. It tries to give users the most relevant output. If they search for a key phrase not matching to your title but have some related content in your page then it can show that page content in place of page title. It also consider the title in DMOZ so there is nothing to worry. Google is not ignoring title tag, it is just trying to give more specific result to its users.

5. Transcribe

Transcribe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also think the same way:title tags matters most for Google.

6. John Peterr

John Peterr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not like that google is ignoring the title. For some sites google considers which you had given for dmoz such as anchor text and description and it will display it in search results. To Control this,

Insert the following tag in your HEAD section of the HTML code to stop Google from using the DMOZ description:

<meta name=”ROBOTS” content=”NOODP”>

7. Charles-John

Charles-John
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It can't hurt if Google uses dmoz title for a website, all it do is provide the user with suitable information. And no, Google doesn't/won't ignore title tags. It is still a ranking factor (one among tens of thousands though) and is important especially from the view point of the user as he can understand what the page is about from the titles itself.

8. Richard Edmonds

Richard Edmonds
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If Google is adding in keywords to make search results for particular websites more relevant and is using trusted directories such as DMOZ for title tag generation, Google is ignoring the title tag you have coded into your website. If your title tag is not being generated as you want it to be, it's being ignored - simply put. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all, I actually agree (to a degree) with how Google is calculating relevancy and adding useful terms to SERPs. I found it interesting how so many have become irate about it. At the end of the day, doesn't really matter what any search engine does with my title as it still reads the tag and what's contained before outputting it to the SERPs, therefore whatever weight you have behind your title generation - it should (theoretically) maintain that level.

9. Charles-John

Charles-John
    uix_expand uix_collapse

10. experttalk

experttalk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

waiting for What will Fergal Say

As per the Matt Cutts statement he always said try to optimize website with title

11. junglekid

junglekid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is what Google says about title tages:

"Make sure that each page on your site has a useful and descriptive page title (contained within the title tags). If a title tag is missing, or if the same title tag is used for many different pages, Google may use other text we find on the page. The HTML suggestions page in Webmaster Tools lists pages where Google has detected missing or problematic title tags."

And this:

"One source we use to generate snippets is the Open Directory Project(http://www.dmoz.org/). You can direct us not to use this as a source by adding a meta tag to your pages."

Read more about this at http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=35264.