Google Chrome OS

Discussion in 'Apps & Software' started by Keaton, Dec 4, 2009.

1. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"It's been an exciting nine months since we launched the Google Chrome browser. Already, over 30 million people use it regularly. We designed Google Chrome for people who live on the web — searching for information, checking email, catching up on the news, shopping or just staying in touch with friends. However, the operating systems that browsers run on were designed in an era where there was no web. So today, we're announcing a new project that's a natural extension of Google Chrome — the Google Chrome Operating System. It's our attempt to re-think what operating systems should be."

Read more.

Looks good for people who only use the web.

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From my point of view, Google's OS is not a real Operating System that you can use as an alternate on Windows OS. How come an operating system needs the computer to be connected to the internet for you to be able to use it?

3. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree, but this OS is made for people who just use the internet. You will not get the other programs you may need, but it will have the internet and email in a quick start up computer/laptop.

4. keshavn73

keshavn73
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its not that good i tested it and even after increaseing the specs it didn't gave much good results???
    and google says that its still in testing phase and will be getting more applications and a few will be removed..

5. skyfire

skyfire
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, this OS is only for those who use internet. What about gaming ? what about some applications like gimp,photoshop ? are they included ? or they created this OS for internet cafe users ?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The Google OS will be a useful OS for people who are using the cloud computing model and we will see more and more of this. As the NY Times reported;

Google is not trying to compete with Windows as it is today. It is building an OS that computer users will need in a few years time, when they have made the move to Cloud computing.

7. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They have not finished it yet, I believe they have only released a beta version where you can do barely anything but the browser.

8. balegere

balegere
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I downloaded the Chrome OSvmdk file and tested it in VMware player.
    Honestly i was not impressed.The OS just boots into the browser and working internet connection is required.I don't think it can replace Windows.
    It might be a good OS for Internet Parlours and Cyber Cafes.

9. Keaton

Keaton
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Read the above posts. ;)