Google calendar or other online calendars?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Kay, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Anyone tried using an online calendar? I've heard great things about the Google one and feel like I need to start using one. While I love backpack as you know, I need something else to complement it and with working between two different computers, I need to be able to access it online.

Any suggestions of alternatives to that one or is that really all there is? I'd be glad to hear of any experiences of using them and pros/cons of whatever one you do use if you do. I believe Yahoo has one too but haven't heard much said about how good the functionality of it is. Thanks!

2. currencyconversion

currencyconversion
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm a fan of Google calendar. I tried several similar calendar sites and applications like Mozilla Sunbird but only this satisfies me most.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm using Outlook Calendar and I would say that I don't have any complaints.

I've just been through the Google Calendar presentation and I do have to agree that it already has most of the features that people are looking for in a Calendar. The most important in my opinion would be the Event Reminder feature and Sharing feature. The Gmail integration feature would also be nice only if you have an email account there.

4. gita

gita
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you had Mac I would recommend iCal, because it is just great, it syncs with my iPhone, iTouch and reminders pops out on all of them :)

But it's not the point so I would really recommend Google calendar. It can sync with your local calendar and other people calendars as well. E.g. in Google calendar I see mine, my work colleagues and even some system releases I have subscribed to. It is very easy to use as well. Good luck!

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I use Outlook Calendar and it works very well for me. An online version would have obvious advantages. I've just created a Google Calendar and will give it a test drive.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks of all the advice, everyone! That's great. :)

Hmm, I wasn't aware Mozilla had one like that. Thanks for the tip, currencyconversion. I'll look into that.

Excuse me for being dumb here Nazreen but is Outlook Express and Outlook Calendar linked in some way? I use Outlook Express but don't know anything about Outlook Calendar. Thanks!

Thanks gita! No, I don't have a Mac but I've heard others sing the praises of how versatile iCal is too. Thanks for the added info on Google calendar. It really does sound good to me and I feel I've outgrown backpack much as I love the reminders. Now I'm having to use a separate spreadsheet to track my work plus a desktop calendar and I just feel it could be all integrated in one so much easier.

I'm 99% sure I will as well, Fergal. I do want to look at the Yahoo calendar as well and check out Sunbird that was mentioned but Google's looking the best solution so far. Keep us posted on how you find it and I'll do the same with whichever one I end up using. I just want to be sure because I hate the thought of setting it all up only to find it's not what I need.

Thanks again everyone, that's very helpful. :)

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If I'm not mistaken, Outlook Express is a component of Windows used for emails only - sending and receiving emails and storing contacts. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I never used Outlook Express before.

Outlook, however, is part of Microsoft Office system. It also can be used for emails, organizing contacts but also have a Calendar for daily, weekly reminders, etc. You can also create and monitor tasks, schedule meetings, etc in Outlook.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes you're right there about Outlook Express. All I ever used that was part of Office was Word so I deleted everything else...hmmm, not the smartest of moves in hindsight LOL. I just hate having programs gathering dust and am a danger to myself in that respect. :D

Thanks for the explanation! Rep added. :)

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Kay, if you have Office on CD, you could install the other office programs again.

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, I had the same thought and spent yesterday rummaging through all my CDs and couldn't lay my hands on it. Unfortunately it looks like it was a casualty of moving house. I've got all kinds of CD rubbish too in the big box I keep them all in too but that one's gone astray unless my son's got it in his room somewhere. Typical. No doubt either him or my husband put it somewhere they thought would be very safe in the old house ie not in the flaming box with everything else!

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You could try contacting Microsoft customer care and requesting a replacement CD. Microsoft's Irish customer care team did provide these in the past, so I'm sure they also do it in other countries.

12. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have never used Google calender or any other such sort of calender online too because I think My mobile application- scheduler is too good enough to handle all these stuff...
    Moreover mobile remains with you always...nowadays its a habit to take mobile wherever you goes...
    I am talking handy kinda use of mobile over these online versions of calender....

13. vikaskumar11233

vikaskumar11233
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Kay
    I am using Google calender and really its very interesting and fun with this Google calender its very easy to use and understand and there are also many other features which you can use it so I recommend to us Google one.

14. Mark.Sanchez

Mark.Sanchez
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have not used the Google calendar still but i think its good to use. There will be more quality things that would have done Google.