Google Browser Size and the % of Your Site Visitors who See Your Content

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I came across this great resource from Google today. It shows the percentage of total visitors to your web page, that will see each part of your page content. One thing it clearly shows is the importance of having your key website content above the fold.

To use it, visit http://browsersize.googlelabs.com/ and enter your site's URL and click the "Go" button. The percentages shown on the screen are the percentage of your visitors that Google estimates will see each section of your webpage.

Have a look at Google Browser Size and please post back to let us know what you think of it.

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I just tried it, and apparently all visitors can see 90% or more of the page. It would be helpful to have a "Help" section to tell users exactly how to use this tool. What do the numbers in white at thetop and side of the page mean? Why doesn't the percentage change if the user scroll down their page? Right now, it's too confusing to be very helpful.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with you Joseph, it could be made more helpful and user-friendly, but it still has it's uses for showing you which parts of your pages are getting viewed by your visitors.

I think those numbers show the distance in pixels from the top left corner.

You can read more about the tool here on Google.

4. yourmapmaker

yourmapmaker
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

It looks rather cheap to be honest. They could certainly make it look nicer. I use a free website that lets you open your website at the different monitor sizes. That way you really see. Thanks for the link though.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I thought it was a great tool. There were no surprises on my end with my site and nothing there that made me want to start moving things around.

Does your tool remove the browser window parts like that does, yourmapmaker?