Good web designer??

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by bug-you-out, Oct 27, 2010.

1. bug-you-out

bug-you-out
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I live in NYC and just started up my business. I'm not getting much business... but I think my lack of customers is due to my poorly designed FREE website. I'm running on a very low budget... can anyone suggest a good web designer at a good price??

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I would agree that if you are starting a business, and want your potential clients or customers to take you seriously, having a "poorly designed FREE website" is not a good start. As I've mentioned elsewhere, people decide whether or not you can give them the service they need based on the look and ease of use of your website.
    When looking for a web designer, to a certain extent, you have to know what you want to accomplish, and then the designer will know how best to design a website that does what you need it to do. Also, because of the growing popularity and importance of the major search engines, you need someone who is familiar enough with SEO to make sure your website is optimized properly. They don't have to be an expert in SEO (although that would be a plus), just familiar enough with it to make sure they won't make errors that would keep your site from being ranked.
    To see what can happen if you don't hire the right person, check out this thread.
    If you PM me with your URL and the size of your budget, I can give you a better idea of the kind of help I can give you.

3. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey,

I'd be willing to do you a Website Design under Chat Bam LLC. :)

4. mackey

mackey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there,

Starting a business needs a lot of time and patience. You need to have feasibility studies and consider your budget. If you're looking for a good designer, i think we might be able to help you out.

5. beancounter

beancounter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey bug-you-out

A good web designer may not necessarily be the answer - you need a good web designer who also understands marketing - a website is not the whole answer -

We've found new clients by using free directories such as Squidoo and Wordpress - Also try weebly.com - they are all free and have good search engine rankings - also try listing your business in free local business directories

Remember this: it's not the design of the website so much as the CONTENT - fill it with keyword rich articles related to your business - if yu want more help PM me

6. SMSmarketing

SMSmarketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on how in depth your site needs to be, but if you are really tight with your budget and have minimal skills, I would suggest WordPress. You can set it up for a business site without "posts" and it gives you decent SEO right out of the box. Pick a free theme that is clean and professional looking and go to town. Once your budget increases then you can go and hire a designer.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum bug-you-out and thanks for posting your question. One of the most important steps when choosing a web designer is to look at their portfolios and see which designer's style is closer to your own requirements.

Have a read of this thread for some tips on how to choose the best website designer, it is written in the context of PR companies, but the process is similar.

If you advertise your requirements here in our Member Ads & Marketplace section, you will get some designers pitching for your work. You can also view some great places for finding designers online in the Webmaster and Trading Forums section of our Useful Online Business Resources thread.

Good luck with it and please do let us know if you have any further questions.

8. rdcclu

rdcclu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

At the risk of stepping on other web designers' toes, and seeing as how you have a small budget, I would use a Wordpress blog.

However, I would not use any of the free ones. I would buy a premium theme. You can get one for about 80 bucks. I could recommend several very good places to pick up a theme, but since I have personally used, and am in the process of putting together a business web site for a friend using this theme resource, I would send you over to http://studiopress.com/ (not my affiliate link) and suggest you select from among their Genesis Framework themes.

The best thing about it is that you can put it together yourself because you don't need to know HTML.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

bug-you-out you have received some great advice from bug-you-out. If you do decide to go that route, you might find the following helpful;

The blog themes listed in the WP Themes and Blogger Templates section of our Useful Online Business Resources thread.
    How To Set Up Your First Website with WordPress
    How To Set Up Your First Website For Beginners - Using Office Live

I give you those links for further information, however, if you can create a good site from the links rdcclu gave you, you don't need to over complicate the issue by looking at lots of other resources.

10. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

May we know what kind of business are you in or maybe a link to your "old site"?

11. igorvolseo

igorvolseo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cangrates! you are starting a business for web-desining, and you want a client,don't warry i am a health insurance provider.so i help you.

12. William King

William King
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you can carry on with themes of wordpress they are very attractive and not very expensive

13. riloyavic

riloyavic
    uix_expand uix_collapse

custom web design is important if you're building a brand but if you're doing it for marketing purposes, then a free wordpress theme should do you good

14. bug-you-out

bug-you-out
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you everyone, I'll take a look at word press.

#15 bug-you-out, Dec 3, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  15. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for posting back bug-you-out, good luck with everything. Please do post again to share your experience with us, so that we can all learn from it, or if you have any further questions.

16. habeebraja

habeebraja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think is better if you use some tools in php like joomla,drupal,megento,wordpress etc.That will really help you to design the good website .

17. habeebraja

habeebraja
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its nice that you started a new business,If you need a good business then its better if you go to Google and search for resources.I think from bangalore you will get very good designer in a cheap price.

18. beancounter

beancounter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Oh yeah habeebraja, reel cheep website design from Bangalore ... you pleese will be saving Big Munies with finding speling and grammar dun right

Always remember this - there's a Big difference between Cost and Price - what may have a cheap price tag can end up Costing you BIG money through time and effort in getting errors corrected or through misunderstandings in language or trying to learn new skills in order to avoid outsourcing to companies that have required skill sets within your budget

19. Henry_Jakson

Henry_Jakson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A website cannot work well unless it is not effectively designed as per visitors point of view. A professional website can be designed with web design tips and web design service provider can help you to achieve what you desire. Effective web design should include content that is informative and presented in a formal and precise. A professional web designer would be very baneficial for designing a perfect website.