Good News Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Fergal, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Unfortunately there has been a lot of bad news recently, so I've decided to start a thread for sharing some good news.

Please post any good news stories you have, whether it be good news for you personally or good news you came across in the media. There is absolutely no bad news or negative comment allowed in this thread. :)

I'll start off with a story about CSN Stores, who have announced that they are creating 200 jobs in Galway, Ireland. It is inspiring to see an internet retailer creating so many jobs at this time. This is especially good news given that these are high quality jobs in the areas of customer service, IT and sales & marketing. More here on RTE.

Please make an effort to keep this thread going, we could all do with a bit of good news to cheer us up. :) :)

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a great story Kay. It is excellent to see a company sharing their profits amongst their loyal employees like that. We often hear company directors and owners speak of how important their employees are, but it's not too often that companies are generous in this way.

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's nice. With the current financial crisis, many people would be expecting smaller year-end bonuses or no bonus at all. It's good to hear that there are still companies who still put great value in it's employees and at the same time rewarding them for their loyalty and good work.

Another good news would be that of Bangkok's 2 Airports resuming their service. It's good news to more that 300,000 travelers who are trapped in Thailand due to the rallies and political unrest. At least they can already leave Bangkok and go back to their worried friends and family.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

The ECB have cut interest rates by 0.75% today. Great news for many people, including me, my mortgage repayments will drop significantly. :)

In a nice complement to the cut in interest rates, the major Irish banks have all announced that they are making substantial loan funding available to support small business. Including €1 Billion from AIB.

650 jobs to be created in Cork, Ireland. 500 in Ireland's biggest insurer Quinn Direct and 150 by a manufacturer of wireless internet access devices, Option Wireless.

This thread is almost making me optimistic. It's amazing all the good news that's out there, when you open your eyes and ears to it.

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What a relief to all those people indeed, Nazreen. That must have been music to their ears.

Fergal, that's REALLY good news on your side of the pond! Excellent. The Irish government seems to be really doing their best to look after their citizens. Glad to see they're keeping the small businesses in mind too. You're right, it's there if we look. :)

Speaking of music, prepare to cover your ears while I toot my own horn. :D Today I got to see my first press release job get picked up by no less than CNBC and Forbes amongst others so I'm just tickled pink! The client assures me it'll be all over the web in a day or two. I asked if I could put it in my portfolio and they said sure, which is even better! :D That was definitely my good news for today.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Congratulations Kay, that is a fantastic achievement. I'm sure your Family Lobby are very impressed with your work, you certainly created a PR piece that they can be proud of and that will benefit their business.

Did your service entail writing the PR piece or did you also promote it and get it published?

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Usually central banks cut down on interest rates to promote growth in the economy. With lower interest rates, they're hoping that new small businesses will crop up and existing ones will also borrow at this time. This would affect those who are invested in government bonds though because they'll be earning lower with lower interest rates.

Congratulations Kay and job well done! Hope to see more of your work in the days to come.

9. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks! :D I did the creative part Fergal, that was all I was asked to do. The client had read my article samples at Hill Holler and liked my style. It came completely out of the blue from that. I'm so glad I had them there! It just goes to show you never know who's looking at it. This is why I'm always singing the praises of having your own blog. :) They were so nice to work with too.

Thanks! I'll be revamping my site in the New Year and adding more to my samples there as I get permission from clients to do so. Will be busy next month, I can tell already. Where's the year gone?!

Some nice news out from Better Place electric car company who plan to spend between $200-250 million creating an electric car network in Hawaii. Lots of work there when it comes to fruition and good news for the environment too!

http://www.reuters.com/article/bondsNews/idUSN0229573020081203

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Kay, there is still plenty of bad news here, but I'm making an effort to find and post the good stuff.

Nazreen, I certainly hope that the rate cuts accomplish what they are supposed to.

Payment services and applications company Sentenial opened their new offices in Co. Kildare, Ireland today and announced plans for the creation of 70 new jobs.

11. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I know and I think it's a fantastic idea. Sometimes all we need is a change of focus and it's nice to read these stories and see there's still room for optimism out there! I love this thread. Great to see all these new jobs being created. :)

Louisiana has got commitment from 32 businesses to either move or expand their businesses which will result in creating over 6200 jobs statewide.

12. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Baby Bonus in SG

Glad to know that some companies are still expanding and therefore creating new jobs. It's nice to wake up in the morning and read some good news especially if it's related to the economy. ;)

With the decline of population here in Singapore due to majority of couples opting to have only 1 child, our government has enhanced the Baby Bonus Scheme. This is to encourage couples to have more babies and it's good news especially for me because my hubby and I are planning to have one next year.

For the 1st and 2nd child, couples will get a one time bonus of S$4000 each and for the 3rd and 4th child, the bonus is S$6000 each. Also if you deposit an amount of up to S$6000 for your 1st and 2nd child into their CDA account the government will match this amount dollar-for-dollar. The deposit amount matched would be higher for your 3rd and 4th child and that's $12,000 and for 5th and beyond, it's S$18,000.

Read the full details here.

13. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=326935
    This is a very good link regarding the cost cutting measures IT companies are taking here in India in HR recruitment costs...
    In this course they are calling B.tech students from computer science & information technology 6 months before itself the completion of B.tech degree so that they can go a six month training in their campus so that they can accustomed themselves to the company's environment & professional qualification's requirement..
    Links contains more details & reasons behind this program.
    Infosys has call 1200 students from all over India to get admitted in this program out of which 200 students are from our college. They will be given training, boarding & lodging, some nominal stipend while remaining in the campus of the company...

14. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Wow, that's excellent timing for you two, Nazreen. I've never heard of that but sounds a great idea. Money's often a big reason for holding back having kids but that would get you off to a solid start. Do you get paid maternity leave from work as well there?

15. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That sounds like a win win situation there, scifi. The students get valuable experience and the companies save some money. I doubt any student would want to turn down that kind of offer and a chance to show what they can do. Excellent. :)

16. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One news which is good in sense that Government is cutting it's all prices in India which is going to affect the economy of India in positive manner.

17. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Deepak_Sharma. I'm sorry but I don't quite get what you're trying to say in your post. Which goods/merchandise or services is the Indian Government reducing their prices on? Can you provide more details and the link on this news article?

18. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Kay ,,I also have thought like that when I have heard the news for the first time...But despite of your guess ,there are many students here in my college who have turn down the offer. nearly 200 students were selected for Infosys from our three colleges under university.
    62 students were selected from my college out of which 15 students have turn down the offer..reasons are many but most prominent one is that hey want to go for MBA instead of job!!!

19. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here in Singapore, schools and universities who are offering Master of Business Administration (MBA) courses are benefiting from this year's recession. This is due to the many working adults who are returning to school to take up MBA courses and upgrade their academic qualifications.

This is good news for universities and schools here who are offering MBA courses and of course, it's also good news for those who are enrolling because they're also investing in themselves.

Read the full story here.

20. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

5 industries still looking to hire
    This a very good article I came across!!!
    When whole world is experiencing economic meltdown there are still 5 sectors that are still looking to hire fresh talent thus creating new job opportunities!!!
    Explore more by clicking the link above!!!

#20 scifi, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008