Goals for this Year

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by prettysue, Aug 10, 2008.

1. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Last year, I have goals for myself for year 2008, short term and long term. One of my short term goals is to travel outside the country and ride the wildest rides in the world. This is coming true on August 22 and I am so excited.

Another short term goal is to have a well-toned body. I still have 4 months to do that, hehehe...

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing your goals with us.

Sounds like you are going on a great holiday, hope you enjoy it.

Have you undertaken an exercise programme to improve your toning?

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to the Business Advice Forum prettysue. Having a well-toned body is everyone's dream. I'm glad that you have set sufficient time of 4 months in order to do that.

4. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for the warm welcome, Fergal and Nazreen.
    AS of now, I am not yet into an exercise programme. I'm still looking for a fitness gym for me to work out.

Fergal, do you think it is best to enroll in a fitness gym to achieve a well-toned body?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There is no best approach to fitness, only what's best for you. Try to participate in an exercise that you enjoy, this will greatly increase your chances of sticking to it. The gym is great if that's what you enjoy.

You might also consider other activities that cost less and get you out in the fresh air, such as cycling, jogging or walking. Obviously you need to be careful that you do these in a safe place and at a safe time.

Are there any sports that you particularly enjoy? Some team sports or sports that involve playing against someone can be more enjoyable and sociable than going to a gym.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against gyms, I've used them in the past and enjoyed and felt challenged by my visits. It's just that gyms are not for everybody and other forms of exercise / sport can have other advantages.

It is worth noting that one of the major ways gyms make money, is through people paying an annual subscription and then not returning after their first month.

I'd also suggest that you don't try too hard, when you first start on an exercise programme. Trying too hard in the beginning increases your chances of picking up an injury. It also increases the chance that you will get demotivated or even quit. It's generally better to hold something back, so that you look forward to getting back to your exercise programme and doing a little more next time.

6. -wataru-

-wataru-
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice goal for you this year. Well may you achieve it the soonest.

7. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you for the great advise, Fergal as I am not so familiar with gyms. And I in doubt now if I will pursue going enroll in fitness gyms. You have a significant point there.

I love badminton but I don't play on a regular schedule. I also love swimming and walking. This is a good idea. Maybe I will start my exercise with walking for 20 minutes everyday together with my friend and my dog :)

I will you keep you posted with my improvement guys.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes, please do keep us updated, and good luck with it. Walking with a friend and your dog sounds much more enjoyable than going to a gym.

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Badminton is already an aerobic sport so if you do this regularly, you should have that well toned body that you've dreamed off. My husband also likes to play badminton and also sometimes teaches me but it's really quite tiring. It is really the fastest racket sport, even faster than tennis.

10. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Same here. I found it more social since I will have a chance to look at the nature along the way while talking to my best friend and handling my dog, the cutest I ever have :)

Before, I was so passionate about badminton. After I do badminton once a week, I found myself very exhausted and my joints is kind of painful. Is it maybe because I am getting older? hehehe... Now, I prefer just walking for an exercise.

11. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It might be that because we are getting older that our joints are getting painful after playing badminton or any sport for that matter. As we grow older, our joints tend to become less limber so it would be good if we start every physical activity with warm-up and stretching. After the game, it's also good if we do stretching exercises to cool down. In Singapore, we can even see people in their 60's and 70's who are still playing and enjoying a game of badminton.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

If those joint problems persist, you might consider seeing a good physiotherapist. A good one can work wonders, but you do need to ensure that it is a good one, a bad physio can do more harm than good.

13. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the advise, Fergal.

On topic, watching the Archery competition of the olympics thrilled me. I find it exciting. There is someone inside me saying you can do that. Is it too late for me to learn archery and a possibility of competing with others? I will listen to some your ideas.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's never too late to get involved in sport and start enjoying it. If you do some research you should be able to find somewhere, not too far away from you where you can try out archery and see if you like it. This will give you the opportunity to experience the sport before you invest a lot of money in equipment.

15. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will take your advise seriously, Fergal. I have searched for the equipments and it is quite expensive. I have yet to try it and then decide if I will pursue my desire.

I haven't been into a sports since I was a child. It is one of my frustrations. While I was working before, I joined the badminton club and some competitions but I lost :(

16. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well your first goal is exciting but second goal is not so easy. I have been working on this since 3 months and still their is no noticible change in me..hehe

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sometimes people are over-ambitious when it comes to exercise programmes. For example the 40 year old who has spent 40 years developing an overweight and unhealthy body, should not expect to be lean and fit after 2 months of exercising.

This 40 year old would be better off with a long term exercise programme and making positive lifestyle changes such as eating and drinking less. Even if he doesn't see an improvement in the first month or two, but is not getting heavier during this time, this is actually an improvement. If he didn't make changes he would be putting on weight for two months. At least now he has taken control of the situation. If he doesn't look at it positively in this way, he is likely to get demotivated and return to his old unhealthy ways.

18. harmin

harmin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Firstly,congratulations for your first short term goal.I hope you enjoy it.
    Now,about your second goal,you want a well-toned body which is the dream of everyone.To meet this goal you should have a good and nutrient amount of diet.Do regular walk or yoga or exercises.