Gmail Man

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by altcom, Nov 1, 2012.

1. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It seems strange that Microsoft would run ads that are more about insulting Google offers than promoting Microsoft offers. Personally I don't mind if Google uses keywords from my mail to present targeted ads to me. Gmail is a great service in my opinion and I'm not in a hurry to move to a Microsoft mail service. When it comes to the Internet it seems that Google is way ahead of Microsoft.

3. jackjohan7299

jackjohan7299
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't think this is strategy of Microsoft.This might be some other reason for dislike.

4. psrb4u

psrb4u
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Now Gmail from Google is all alone enough to compete with Microsoft.

5. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

altcom that Gmail ad does suggest that Gmail is different to Hotmail, but the big difference between it and the Microsoft ad, is that the Gmail ad doesn't mention their competitors by name. The Microsoft ad, talks more about Gmail than it does about Microsoft's services.

7. remonray

remonray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First of all thanks for sharing :D or else I would never know this.
    Do not forget "YouTube is of google", so I actually don't care if the likes are more/dislikes.

It is the same kind of issue heard some days ago....'samsung galaxy comparing with iphone5 in a tv advertisement'

8. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

I ignore the ads anyway. I don't use Gmail to read the ads, I use it to read email. I also don't visit any website, including this one, to read ads. Fortunately, there are enough people who disagree with me to make it profitable. In fact, if an ad doesn't cost anything, I may even post one myself. After all, you never know when someone who needs your services may click on it.

9. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I find the videos annoying but not out of line. Although it is ancient history now for most Gmail users, the idea of ads based on keywords in the emails was a very big concern of a lot of people when Gmail was launched. At this point, I'm not sure that playing that up is really a good way for Microsoft to distinguish its service.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Neither do I, but sometimes they grab my attention because they are so relevant to something I sent an email about. E.g. if I email someone with something in connection with Civil Engineering, even though that's not a topic that I would normally be discussing, I start seeing ads very relevant to Civil Engineering.

I'd be much more impressed by the videos if they told me what Microsoft's services could do for me. I tend to think less of companies who put energy and resources into talking down their competitors.

11. renegadeleader

renegadeleader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I still stick using Gmail, its more updated than any other email services.

12. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's what #RCS (Real Company Stuff coined by Wil Reynolds) do. It's a way to promote their biz, their product or their name.

I agree Gmail is a really great service and it's still Free. With my gmail account I can add other products by Google with just a click.

Yes. I think that's the biggest mistake of that ad. They shouldn't have mention the competitor. In some way, I think Google plucked a Microsoft nerve.