Glad to see Verisign addressing the flawed security certificates issue

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Kay, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was reading yesterday about how researchers had figured out how to create fake SSL certificates for ecommerce sites and shown off how they did it at a security conference. Verisign thankfully has addressed this right away. This was a major flaw which apparently has been known about before now from what I'd heard. It's a wonder anyone does business online.

Full article

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the info Kay.

That was a quick and good resolution to Verisign's flawed security certificates issue. But on the other hand, this issue was already known way back in 2004 as mentioned in the article. They should already have handled this the first time the issue was known and not wait for some researchers to demonstrate how hackers could take advantage of this security flaw.

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Verisign Inc. has done a great job in figuring out how to create fake SSL certificates for ecommerce sites so as to prevent happening of such activities in the future but taking into consideration that issue was known way back in 2004 too, the action came too late ...Wonder if hackers might have taken advantage of this flaw during all these 4 years!!!!:rolleyes:

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Verisign are a very large and respected company. I don't know for sure but I would suspect that this issue was not greatly manipulated by hackers, if it was I'd imagine that they would have resolved it much quicker.

5. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah Fergal, Rightly said that if this issue would have troubled Verisign, they might have taken action much before itself & the action which came recently would had been then a matter of past..
    But as it goes in the general habits that person do not resolves a problem when it is small & creates havoc when a problem becomes heap over the time...

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Very true Scifi - like the old horseshoe nail nursery rhyme.

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A very nice poem, Fergal..It reveals the message clearly & effectively but to only those who are ready to understand it!!!!!