Give some suggestion to my site, also how to make a mobile version?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Bunnyz, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Bunnyz

Bunnyz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey

So I made this website, I think it looks really bad, how do I make it look prettier?
    Also, when it's displaying on mobile devices it looks really bad, I want to make a mobile version of it but I don't know how I can do it, also I wish they are the same domain just look different.

Please take a look, thanks!

Here's the website:
    www.bunnyz.ca

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

What is this website for? I hate to say it, but it is very poorly designed. There is very little, if anything, here to inspire people to visit your website. The graphic at the top is way too big, and there is nothing here to describe who you are or what the purpose of the website is. The words underneath the large graphic, which should link to other pages on the site, do nothing but return to the top of the page. The "Contact Us" section of the page has only your email, which is not related to you or anything on the website, and the graphic is way too big.
    As far as the appearance on mobile, there are many conversion tools available. The easiest way is to use WordPress, with a responsive template. This will ensure that your site will be displayed properly no matter what device it is displayed on. And, I would definitely give some thought to what the purpose of the website is, and how to best describe and/or illustrate that on the website.

3. Bunnyz

Bunnyz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your reply! the purpose of the website is to demonstrate I have the ability to make graphics, and the top and bottom banners are to show I can be able to draw (I drew these pictures)

So that's what I'm trying to do, the main pages are some graphics I did, I made this website to show I can be able to make website, I can also make graphics and draw so that graphic design companies can hire me.

Can you give me some suggestions on how I can change my website? I'm doing it with coding, like HTML and CSS, I don't know how to use wordpress, do you think I should first finish making the website for desktop and then use word press to make a version for phone, or should I made the desktop version and the phone version all together?

4. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Once people find out you can make graphics, then what? That's what I mean by "purpose". You may have seen people mention the term CTA, or Call-To-Action. What that means is that when people come to your website, you want them to do something. What do you want them to do?
    These are not banners, they are pictures - and they are way too big. Here I have the same question as above. You have now shown people you know how to draw, so what do you want them to do with that knowledge?
    This actually backfired. What this website actually shows people is that you are not able to make a website. To further illustrate the point, twice in your post you used the phrase "I can be able" - you said "I can be able to draw" and "I can be able to make a website". What you should have said was "I can draw" and "I can make a website". Knowing English means not just knowing the words, but knowing how to use them correctly. In the same way, you may know HTML and CSS, but don't know how to use them effectively to properly make a website.
    The problem with using coding is that you have to know, or be able to cut-and-paste, the necessary code to make sure your website shows properly on any device, which means the code must be able to determine what type of device is being used. With WordPress, you can use a "responsive" theme, which means the code has been done for you, and your website will automatically show properly on any device. You don't need to have separate versions of the website for each device. WordPress is not that hard to learn. I learned it as part of a course to earn a Digital Marketing Certificate, but you can purchase the latest edition of a book, such as "WordPress for Dummies", and many hosting providers have WordPress Hosting and can install it on your server for you. Once it's installed, it is very intuitive, and you can pick it up pretty quickly.

5. Bunnyz

Bunnyz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok, I just went on the wordpress website, and read a few posts on wordpress, but there's this question, there's self hosted wordpress and ones they provide everything for you, I want to use my own pictures and use my own domain, but I'm a complete beginner and doesn't know PHP. What should I do? do you think self hosted wordpress would have the features of the free ones?

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

In order to use your own domain, you have to use the self-hosted WordPress, and you don't need to know PHP. Make sure you use a provider that provides WordPress hosting, not just WordPress on their standard hosting packages. That way, you know they can help you if and when you need it. Once you're set up, you can upload your own pictures to your server.