Give me Tips & ways to Improve my Blog

Discussion in 'Website & Graphic Reviews' started by clannny, Nov 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clannny

clannny
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Everyone

Give me Tips & ways TO improve my Blog

Description:
    My blog is about all type of facts. I will Post daily at least once per day about facts of all different type of related stuff. I've been researching about fact's lately & know pretty much about them.

I Just need tips & suggestions on what i can improve & do to my blog to make it even better then what it is now?
    Please note that i just open this blog as that's why its so plain but i will be working on this

SITE:
    www.topthisfact.com

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I actually like the design of your blog. Obviously, you need quality content to keep your visitors coming back to your site. Have you thought about defining your niche a little bit more? I'm not sure that a blog related to facts in general will be specific enough to attract visitors. Think about some of the following questions and post back with your thoughts and we will do our best to help you;

Who are your target visitors - age group, sex, location, interests, etc?
    Why will people visit your blog?
    How will your visitors benefit from visiting your blog?
    What other sites & blogs are your target visitors reading?

You should find some of the blogging related links in our Useful Online Business Resources helpful.

You should also find some of these threads helpful;

Please give me tips to improve my blog
    How do you get traffic to your forum/blog ?
    Blogging to Bank: The Full Info!
    Tutorials on How to increase your blog Traffic
    Your Opinion on This Blog
    Starting with blog

Good luck with it and please do post back with your thoughts.

3. clannny

clannny
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,
    Thanks Fergal for your post!
    you are always helpful to me haha ^_^, thats why i love your websites as your always maintence & provide full of support to your following members.
    Well on the questions
    I'm definity totally looking for members in the USA, people that love alll type of facts, and ages from 18+ as i might be posting some sex facts but probably mostly school & animal facts.
    People will visit my blog to review about facts & learned that their true & keep in mind or give facts out to other following people.
    My visitors can't benefit out of the blog but facts at the moment, the most they can do is subscribed or suggest a fact to us so we can post it under their name. But i do planning on looking for pay per good fact suggested, per subscribed, and or comments.
    My target readers are visitors that are always interested in facts or love's to suggest about facts.

As a fact, i might also be interested in a partnership with someone as i already have one.

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your blog seems to have great content in it.
    The only problem is that on the homepage, we can't see any summary of your blog posts.
    Try to include some summary on the homepage and have a link like "Continue Reading..." to gain much attention.

EDIT: I though what I read is just the title, but it's not.
    Give more information about the fact that you are giving.

5. clannny

clannny
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,
    Yeah My partner is in charge of the facts
    & he research information & find it better for shorter point of fact post. So since he's good with that i'll probably stick with that for now.

But your recommendation is great!
    Keep more coming, im enjoying all the feedbacks.

I will soon also be adding
    A Logo/Banner for the website
    Meta Tags
    Maybe more menu tab pages (recommend me some!)

Shud I redesign the background? only the lightblue part i cant change the inside as its under the script.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I like the white background, it makes the text very easy to read. I agree that the facts are very short. Would it not be more useful to your readers if you provided a little more info and background on every fact you posted? You could still include the main headings with a statement of the facts, and add the detail in smaller font.

7. clannny

clannny
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,
    So far My recommendation received is longer & more informative posts

Do you think adding a image to each post would be much more helpful? or not nessercary

Is there any proble with the lightblue background in the outside & white background in the inside?

Also where would you recommend my logo/banner to be at?
    should it replace where my title of my website at the top where it says "Top This Fact"
    or under/above it?

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally I enjoy reading blogs more, when there are images in the posts. Images grab visitor attention and interest, provided of course that they are decent images and are relevant.

Looks good to me.

Yes, I would say that if you are adding a logo, that it should replace that text.

9. blinkky

blinkky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Your blog already in great condition. Maybe you need to create favicon for your blog =)

10. clannny

clannny
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What you mean by create a favicon?
    like a social site?
    i've added those social bookmark to each of my post if you see

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A favicon (short for favorites icon), also known as a website icon, shortcut icon, url icon, or bookmark icon is a 16×16, 32×32 or 64×64 pixel square icon associated with a particular website or webpage.[1] A web designer can create such an icon and install it into a website (or webpage) by several means, and most graphical web browsers will then make use of it. Browsers that provide favicon support typically display a page's favicon in the browser's address bar and next to the page's name in a list of bookmarks. Browsers that support a tabbed document interface typically show a page's favicon next to the page's title on the tab. Source & more info.

Have you noticed BAF's favicon? [​IMG]

12. clannny

clannny
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Aww I see
    I though & guess it mean social boomarking icons

Wow nice!, i wonder how you guys got that icon from which site? im interested in one atm.
    What does this icon do? just for looks or a way of promoting also?

13. alia

alia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

# Provide more, not less, original content in the blog entries. The #1 thing you can do to improve the blog quality is write compelling, original copy, preferably early on and with an unsaturated topic. If you feel like your blockquote is overshadowing your insight and analysis, the feeling’s probably right. Try to reduce the quotes to the point(s) most relevant to your commentary on the post.
    # Find things you are insatiably curious about and write with full-on passion. If you write about things you are only marginally interested in expect that readers will notice and the overall blog quality will suffer. It is extremely difficult, even for very talented writers, to write about subjects where they have little to no interest.
    # Rather than make 10 so-so posts every day, make 3-5 really good ones. If you want to increase exposure, the 10 so-so ones will help in the short term, but in the long run 3-5 good ones will grow the subscriber base more.
    # Can’t find the solution to a problem in the search engines easily? How-to/fixes/solutions make great topics.
    # Give away something once in awhile. Surprise your readers. It can be tangible like prizes, money or intangible like advice, tips, or tricks where you’ve gleaned wisdom and experience.
    # Start blogging about subjects that aren’t already being blogged to death, or write about them with a fresh perspective. Unless you are some kind of celebrity, the head of a major company, movie star, etc, just being you is likely not enough in today’s overcrowded blog space. If too much of your content is “me too” then readers will find it harder to stay interested and look elsewhere.
    # Pay a professional if you suck at graphics and design. It’s not a crime, really, unless you pay way too much for an overly artistic, less practical design. Look at the designer’s portfolio and see if the design match your content and show the designer this list. And for those who say they never come to a website to read blogs, they use strictly RSS, remember that there are still many, many people who do
    # Don’t use too much Flash. Sure, Flash is cool when used sparingly on a website, but use it too much and it makes your website look like the Vegas strip. Flash-only sites can work in some rare cases, but blogs aren’t one of them. If only the music and movie industry could figure this out.
    # Don’t slap a bunch of flashy banners and buttons (no matter how small) all over the place. The clutter effect will happen if you keep jamming more and more stuff onto the pages, so be picky about what gets on the pages — and keep the content relative — and when something doesn’t seem as important or relevant either remove it completely or move elsewhere.
    # Use a smaller, less gaudy logo. Google is a good example of a logo that is there, but unobtrusive. Conversely, the MSN header looks bulky. A vertical measurement of space used with a tool like Screen Calipers can be helpful in not wasting valuable browser real estate.

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you know Photoshop, you can make your own, a customized one, using that program.
    I can make you one if you like. :D

But you can use these sites to create Favicons:
    http://tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/
    http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/
    http://www.degraeve.com/favicon/

And more here:
    http://www.google.com.ph/search?q=f...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Just upload a pic that you want to become a Favicon and it will generate the image as a Favicon.

15. blinkky

blinkky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Looks like Fergal already answer your question. Try to make your favicon more unique =)

16. clannny

clannny
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,
    Wow thanks guy!
    Yeah i know what's favicon now.

Well @ gekidan if you really could & have the time to make my website a favicon i would be more than happy & thankful!

Sorry as i dont have photoshop & even if i do, i dont even have any type not even a little of designing skills.

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have sent you a PM regarding this. :D

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's really just an image to help a little bit more with your site branding and identification. The image appears in your visitors' browser window and it also appears in their bookmarks if they bookmark your site. It can make your site appear more professional and anything you can do to help with the branding and the identification of your site has got to be good.

19. BenjaminCip

BenjaminCip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't checked your blog in details, as I wasn't really attracted by its design. I think you should get both Logos and some nice plugins such as CommentLuv, Top commentator etc... I highly advice you to purchase Darren Rowse 31 Day Building A Better Blog for as low as $19 (I'm not sure but he made some discount before, so maybe you can get it cheaper than the price I mentioned)

20. Ahabdune

Ahabdune
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ideas

I like the concept of your engine e.g. Blog. The visual design is good enough - for now. The main thought to rise in my head is, Who and How is anyone going to use this information in a constructive way, bringing high traffic? I agree there should be just random facts area, but what about facts that benefit people lives that don't have the time, energy, or know how to get for themselves? Examples, environmental living tips, better quality foods, staying healthy, etc, simple facts that anyone can look up in a glance to improve their lives quickly.

Just a few thoughts

Jak

#20 Ahabdune, Nov 26, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.