Girl Geek Dinners

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Fergal, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An increasing number of girls / ladies are working in technical areas and becoming self employed. I found a link this morning for a network of Irish girl geeks he have regular meet ups over dinner. What a great idea!

http://www.irelandgirlgeekdinners.com

About Page.

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The geeks shall inherit the earth. That's a truly wonderful idea and it has already spread worldwide. You've got Greece Girl Geek Dinners, Brussels Girl Geek Dinner, Sydney Girl Geek Dinners, to name a few.

I have to say that I'm curious about what happens in these dinners. Wish I can attend one but we don't have a version of girl geek dinners here in Singapore and I'm not that technical besides.

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal..do you know the concept of kitty parties of ladies which is very popular among housewives in India ??
    Don't you think that these girl geek dinners is on the same line of concept except being more carved to needs of special niche....??

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd imagine they talk about make up, clothes and their boyfriends / husbands. Sorry I couldn't resist, I think it's an excellent concept.

Sorry Scifi, but I've never heard about Kitty parties.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal!!! I can't believe my ears. :eek: LOL. I think they'd be going there to get away from those type of conversations! Egads, I'd rather have my fingernails ripped out than take part in a brain numbing "make up, clothes, bf/husband" type chat. Of course, they'd probably paint them in the latest winter colors first before I could get the pliers... [​IMG]

I love that idea. And am interested in what the kitty parties are too.

6. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a nice link about a kitty party in India....
    http://72.14.235.132/search?q=cache:ZrLLhK1feycJ:www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/mp/2004/03/15/stories/2004031502480200.htm+kitty+parties&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=in
    Well to be precise kitty parties have a system called 'kitty' which is a group of ladies or housewives who have gathered at a place to get some change from their daily routine.... which is about friendship, sharing, gossiping and having a ball(games), say the ladies, who have been a part of that social circuit(kitty) for years now.

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had wanted to check the kitty parties that you've mentioned about Scifi but when I clicked the link that you've provided, I got a 403 Forbidden message from google. See the error message below.

8. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nazreen I don't know why this error is coming ...the page is opening normally here...The link is working fine & I have checked here numerous times...
    Fergal has also complaint many times about these type of similar complaints but I don't know what can be reason behind this!!!!
    Mostly I try to give links mostly from google unless until it is a link from a trusted site I use myself...
    Again I am giving a link...see if it is working..
    http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/mp/2004/03/15/stories/2004031502480200.htm

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It might be the Static IP that you've provided Scifi - the 72.14.235.132. The link only your post above is working now.

I've just gone through the news article from The Hindu and I do agree that there's some similarity between Girl Geek Dinners and the Kitty Parties. I would guess that the main difference would be the professions of the members - women who are technically inclined for Girl Geek Dinners and housewives for the Kitty Parties.

As for the primary objective of these dinners and parties, I would guess that they're both the same and that is to have fun.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Links open fine for me, thanks for that Scifi.