Getty Images Copyright Issue

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by An Alien, Apr 19, 2011.

1. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry to hear that you are in that situation An Alien. Have you removed the images that Getty are complaining about from your site?

What is the current status of your case, are Getty still pursuing you?

Thanks for sharing this story with us, it should server as an alert to other webmasters of the potential dangers they face when adding images to their website.

3. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have removed it and they are still demanding the money. I have bought the new pics from istockphoto this time.

"...image was taken down immediately and I contacted Getty Images. They were not in the slightest bit sympathetic to my clients situation, and demanded payment even though the image was only on the site for a few weeks on an internal page."
    http://internetmadness.blogspot.com/2007/06/getty-images-are-trying-to-getty-me.html

Never ever use Getty Images. They're evil.

#3 An Alien, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  4. CloptonCapital

CloptonCapital
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How much do they want. I'd say just claim negligence and let them settle for less

5. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Settlement Amount: $3,675
    This is what they replied:
    "Getty Images understands that a third-party designer may have been contracted to design and develop your company’s website. However, if no licenses from Getty Images exist, the liability of any infringement ultimately falls on the company (the end user) who hired that third-party."

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't know your financial situation An Alien, however if you don't have that kind of money you might consider writing them a letter explaining your financial situation to them. However, be very careful that you don't admit any liability or wrongdoing in your letter or give the impression that you feel you actually do owe them the money. The object of the letter would be to convince them that you don't have the money to pay a fine anything like that. They are unlikely to invest more time or money on pursuing you, if they don't believe that you have the means to pay.

Have you sought any independent legal advice on the matter?

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, have you pointed them to where you got the image in question?

8. amantrader

amantrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks a ton for posting this, I found it quite informative, and it answered most with the concerns I had.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good question GekiDan! An Alien, have you contacted the original site designer to ask if they had a licence from Getty to use the image in question?

10. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have contacted him and he has not responded. I know he doesn't have the license anyway so I stopped after emailing him twice. I did some research and found this guy who writes letters like Fergal said. And he has helped many people with this Getty problem.
    Here is is site:
    http://www.extortionletterinfo.com/
    I have emailed him about my issue and he will be getting back to me next week hopefully since he's so busy with these.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good luck with it An Alien. Have you done checks and research to see if that site can be trusted?

12. An Alien

An Alien
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, he has a forum that has over thousand posts thanking him. But that's the only help on google I can find about this issue. And if you look at his letters on his frontpage, you can tell that he's good at it. He also has youtube vids discussing about this, but I haven't seen it completely.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I hope it works out well for you An Alien, please post back to update us so that others will have the benefit of learning from your experience.

[Featuring this thread!]

14. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is there a way, like putting the designer liable of the damages you took?