Getting young people interested in business

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Winterybella, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recently read about a young lady in this forum who was keenly interested in starting her own business at age 13/14. I found it quite admirable. I am surrounded by young people and very few seem keen on owning and operating their own business. I find it somewhat unsettling.

I have been trying without success to encourage them to develop a different approach to business and life in general. I am happy to hear from anyone young or old on this subject.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpoint
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe getting young people interested in business depends on their former background. If they come from a family enticing them to have fun rather than to get them discovering the world, encouraging them to do activities they love to do and so on, then those youngsters will not care about business until later in life, if ever.

However when children receive early motivation, is when they come to surprise us. Even though, sometimes a young people may not have a background encouragement but a natural impulse to start business or entrepreneurship ventures early in life.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My husband's youngest sister is business-minded and she had shown when she was still in grade school. She would be selling items that her classmates would buy. At home, she would be selling brand new but cheap clothing items in front of their house during the Christmas season. Some people are really into it and all they need, particularly the young, is support from the adults.

4. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many kids aren't interested in starting businesses and convincing them to do it would be quite difficult.

What would work better is to teach kids about money when they are still young. Make them earn their pocket money and if they want to buy something expensive try to get them to set up a summer lemonade stand. Otherwise once they are a little older, tell them young people to start businesses when they know there are other ways to make money . . . they wouldn't be all that interested.

5. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Most young people are simply not interested in starting their own business due to the environment and culture surrounding them. I'm from generation X - where capitalism, entrepreneurship and hard work were still valued. Generation Y have been growing up under a different paradigm. Politics and social outlook are far more left-wing, becoming a business person and making money is almost considered evil. Youngsters today prefer to get a job at the government or work for someone else, entrepreneurship is definitely not a priority.

6. kaian

kaian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Running your own business is not that easy to pull off. What does young people have? Great ideas. But are they ready to face the challenges of becoming an entrepreneur?Most of them do not even know what they want to do in life. If yes, are there people around them ready to provide guidance and sound advice? One blind person can not lead another for sure. I think if the kid does not show interest you can only do so much influencing or exposing him.

7. missbishi

missbishi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here in the UK, few young people have an interest in starting thoer own business. It's probably a combination of the effects of the benefits culture we have here and a lack of faith in the economy.

8. spyindiaanu

spyindiaanu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If anyone interested to start the new business, they have to prepared and knowledge about what they want to do. Have new ideas and logic but business platform is very different here person know all skill which you fight with the competitor. Opening of the business is not a great deal but how to build and grow your business at top level that is always matter. Many young person have to start and then in middle they not do more effect as many reasons one is economy investment, you can first prepare for every situation when you start new business. Thanks.

9. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I understand you completely. For months I have been encouraging many around me to get interested and I am exhausted trying to get them to complete simple things to get them involved. I am at the late stage in my own life trying to do catch up because I feel like I have missed out on so many opportunities. Had my parents encouraged me to get started in business at an early age, I feel sure I would have done much more. I guess we are living in different times and with the 'quick fixes' most just want to get on the fast track without putting in much effort.

I will continue to do what I can to affect who I can. Not all are lost and the ones who show a slight interest I will continue to encourage...