Getting started with Facebook advertising

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by yb123456, Oct 23, 2010.

1. yb123456

yb123456
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi all,

My company is currently using PPC advertising on Google. We want to start using Facebook advertising as another method of driving traffic to our website.

1. Are there any tools that help migrate existing AdWords campaigns to FB?

2. Are there any tools to manage, optimize, and/or track FB campaigns?

3. What types of advertising are most effective on FB (fan pages, groups, advertisements in the right column leading to an external web page, to a fan page, to an event, etc.)?

4. What are the biggest problems companies have when using FB advertising (especially for those that are already using SEM)?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    YB.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum yb123456. Do you have many Adwords ads that you want to migrate over to FaceBook?

Once you start advertising on FaceBook you will see that they have excellent reporting systems that provide detailed info on tracking and analysing the success of your individual ads.

If you have a large advertising budget I'd suggest that you contact FaceBook directly and ask them if they can help you with your questions and give you a bulk deal for advertising with them.

If your budget is more moderate I'd suggest that you start with a few ads to test their system. Look at the reports on your FaceBook advertising to see exactly what type of FaceBook advertising works best for your site.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello YB! Welcom to BAF and thanks for posting your business questions here.
    Sorry I haven't used any PPC advertising, may it be Adwords or Facebook ads.
    So I'll just answer your 3rd question.

So far, I have only used fan fages which have nearly 2000 fans and gave over 300 visits on my blog each day. All I do is have my blog's link automatically posted on it whenever I made a new article. This way, I can interact with my fans and they can easily visit my blog whenever I post a new article even though they are just hanging out in Facebook. :)

And as far as I can see, Fan pages are more effective than Facebook groups. I'm a co-admin of one and it seems that members lost interest after the main admin failed to interact.

4. yb123456

yb123456
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your input Fergal and GekiDan!

We have a few dozen AdWords ad groups, each with a few dozen keywords. I wouldn't call it a huge account, but migrating it manually to FB would definitely be time consuming.

I will try to experiment a bit with the different forms of Facebook advertising, and see which gives the best results. I'll post an update when I have some results.

If anyone has additional input - I'd be more than happy to learn from other's experience.

Thanks!
    YB.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't have any experience of my own to share on this either. How about some from Shoemoney? :)

http://www.shoemoney.com/facebook-advertising-soup-to-nuts-guide/

6. EvanP

EvanP
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Hey there!

Advertising through others fanpages and groups is a good way. Some advertisers will give you a status update to 300,000+ fans for as little as $30 a pop. :)