Getting my foot n the door with the wrong degree

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by optimusprime, Oct 31, 2011.

1. optimusprime

optimusprime
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello,

I recently received my degree in Biology with a concentration in medical studies in hopes of getting into either dental or medical school. However, it seems that those dreams are fleeting me by the moment. I received good grades in a difficult major and have taken high level math courses which many of the accounting or finance majors didn't even have to touch. But now im looking to break into the business world and have no clue as to how...I have no experience in the field. I'm looking to get my foot into the door and was wondering if anyone here has any advice as to how I may go about this? A second degree as the moment does not seem too appealing to be honest...How about any licensed or exam programs I can study on my own for? Thank you...

2. td2011

td2011
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there,
    A second degree is going to be costly though if you have the money to do it and are sure that business is your calling then you might find this is the best way in. Or sometimes it's who you know and not what you know and this as been the case for many of my friends that have failed to find jobs in what they'd originally studied.

3. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was in this same situation many years ago when I first graduated with a degree in biomedical science which is basically similar to yours. I already knew that I didn't want to be a doctor or do research. I stumbled onto a temporary business position in the tech industry by accident and realized that it was business that I wanted to be in. So after the couple of months of that position was over, I went into MBA school on an accelerated program to finish it in 1.5 years. I figured that this was not really a huge investment in time since it was a new area for me and I have the rest of my working career ahead of me.

You might want to try and get into some sort of business position in scientific related industries like pharmaceutical sales for example. I ended up working in the pharmaceutical industry for 14 years before retiring from the corporate world and created a webinar on pharmaceutical sales careers for those interested. An MBA will give you a better chance as it did with me especially with regards to future management positions.

The combo of a science degree and a MBA is a good one for many science and healthcare related fields which have a business emphasis.