Getting in shape

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by jdab, Nov 8, 2012.

1. jdab

jdab
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

In order to boost my self confidence and well-being I have decided to get myself back in shape. I used to be very fit a few years ago until I had a nasty sports injury (broke my right knee, ankle and ruptured the cruciate ligament in my ankle) and I stopped all sport due to being too nervous. Now I've got the courage to start again, I've bought running equipment and my own weights so I can get fit again :)

Anyone else do this?

2. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally, I use a pull up bar and a heavy bag. The heavy bag is amazing for stress relief.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry to hear about your previous injury Flux, it sounds quite bad. Do you mind me asking how you did that?

I did some running in the past but started getting ankle, knee and hip joint pain, so I started walking and building up my miles that way. My plan is to start doing some gentle jogging soon, but to take it very slowly, perhaps do a 5K run next year and build from there. I also do some push ups and sit ups a few mornings per week.

4. amsgator

amsgator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks amsgator, that is very helpful. I've been doing some walking and plan to start doing a little jogging now. I have heard of the Couch to 5K plan and have been following them on FaceBook for some time. However, I've never followed the plan. But now with your prompting I've downloaded and app from RunDouble and will see how it works out soon.

Thanks again!

6. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

5K is actually hard to accomplish for beginners I should say but if you are with a group of runners, you'll never mind how long is would be.

I use to run 3 times a week just few rounds in an oval nearby. And when I started joining Fun Run every weekends, I also run less. now just run around 2 or once a week. But even so I still feel like I can run 21K.

7. amsgator

amsgator
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No problem! There is also a 5K to 10K and 10K to Half Marathon running around the web if you search for it (depending on how far you want to take it!)

• Like Like x 1
  8. jdab

jdab
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Someone came in with a wreckless challenge when playing football with their studs up.