Getting banner ads stats

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by daytrader, Jan 23, 2013.

1. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you put a banner ad somewhere and the banner is hosted in your server, is there a way to get the stats of it like how much traffic and etc?

2. Wayne Liew

Wayne Liew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The URL for the banner should contain UTM tags rather than just the raw URL. Once it is set up, you can view the traffic that the banner is sending under Source / Medium or Campaigns and gauge the quality of the traffic (bounce rates, conversions, time on site, etc.).

If you are new to UTM tagging, you can use the URL builder provided by Google Analytics (Google for it :) ).

Feel free to let me know if you have more questions about this.

• Like Like x 2
  3. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The owner of the site you are putting them on the ad on should be able to tell you all of that.. If not you are able to do something like a Alexa rating to get a idea of the traffic ratings. Most owners of sites use Google Adwords to keep track of their traffic. They might even have a app installed that tells them how often an ad is clicked.

4. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For tracking the traffic from a banner UTM tags would be gud. However, if you have the banner on your server and your website only then i think you can get the stats from the control panel itself.

5. Wayne Liew

Wayne Liew
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally, I have not used the analytics software (I think it's called AwStats) on my web hosting control panel because the stats will normally take hits or visits from bots and crawlers into account, which we don't want because these are not real human beings. One great benefit about using UTM tagging with Google Analytics is the ability to track traffic quality or even conversions (if you have a goal for your website).

6. AJKpeter

AJKpeter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Agreed, Awstats will be the best option for your need

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Actually, Wayne was saying that Awstats is not the best option for him, because it does not give stats only for real people. Having said that, why do you think Awstats is best. What kind of features does it have that cannot be found anywhere else? As Wayne pointed out, at least one of it's features does not give the results the user needed. Can you explain why you think it is the best option, rather than just a short sentence?