German Privacy Watchdog Dislikes Facebooks "Like" Feature

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Jerlene, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thilo Weichert, the state of Schleswig-Holstein's data protection commissioner, has recently ordered state/gov institutions to shut down fan pages on Facebook and remove the 'Like button' from their websites. The statement Weichert issued is that the 'Like button' leads to viewer profiling and that this violates German and European privacy laws.

Read more here: http://news.yahoo.com/german-privacy-watchdog-dislikes-facebooks-145646136.html

2. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, there are different kind of privacy rules in every country and I also think that can be a problem a person viewing your profile without any notice. But, then also facebook also gives an option to hide your profile for some kind of visitors and that is a good option so I don't find a problem in here.

3. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What do you mean? Are you talking about the feature that lets you choose who views your profile - friends only, friends of friends, etc.?
    Odd it doesn't work for me. My profile is set to friends only but people still say they can view it.

4. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I am talking about those features only. In those features there is an option of Custom with which you can set it for specific peoples.

5. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah I know that and I have it set to be private but as I said it doesn't work too well for me. Quite a handy feature though.

6. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, it is very useful for those who care for the privacy the most.

7. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yep, I know. But most of my friends don't use it. I come across more public profiles than private.