Generate More Leads Than Your Home Business Can Handle, Today ...

Discussion in 'Articles & Tutorials' started by amwarner, Mar 26, 2013.

1. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Advertising is useless.

Okay that’s being a little too harsh, but it is severely overrated when it comes to marketing a business. You’re faced with too many limitations when you solely depend on advertising as being the centerpiece of your marketing strategy. Limitations you could easily avoid by implementing much more effective strategies to generate leads and sales for your business.

Among those are:

1. Expense.

30 second TV commercials.

Print ads in a magazine that reaches the entire nation.

15 second radio spot on a nationally syndicated talk shows.

All of those platforms can catapult any mediocre business into a success instantly – but at what cost. Many business owners are quick to find out that the high cost of advertising contributes more to sinking businesses rather than helping them take off.

The “experts” will tell you that advertising should never be considered an expense, but rather an investment for your business. I agree with that viewpoint. However, if your business doesn’t have the capital to cover the initial costs of advertising and to test, especially if your advertisement is successful, your company will be hemorrhaging money quickly.

2. Market Saturation

Why should anyone buy something from you when they could get the same thing from Joe Schmo down the street?

And vice versa.

This is a problem that many businesses are facing .. they just can’t get noticed.

Think about the amount of advertising messages you’re exposed to on a daily basis: billboards, television, radio, grocery, transit, magazines, the Internet, mobile devices and so on. Unless your advertisement has a significant message or grabs the attention of the target market you’re going after, it’ll be very difficult for people to pay attention to what your ad has to say. Especially if they’ve seen something similar to it before.

3. Disappointment

This will always be a reality when it comes to advertising.

I’ve read stories about people having great products, spending thousands of dollars on a direct mail campaign only to pull in a couple orders. Many things contributed to that failure.

As with traditional advertising, many things can contribute to disappointment. Few leads, fewer sales, inferior product/service or bad economy.

Advertising will always be there as unpredictable and unreliable as it is. As a business, you do have other methods to generate leads that you could and should be concentrating your efforts on.

1. Freebies

Many business owners have serious reservations towards giving away products and services for free but let me explain something. If your customers don’t know you or your product(s), why would they rush to do business with you?

I remember writing on a business forum about wanting to start an information product business, wanting to charge X amount per product and what would be the best way to start. I received numerous replies stating how can I expect prospects to purchase what I’m selling if I haven’t built a trust with them?

Point is, your prospects have to sample whatever it is you’re selling. It’s the fastest way to leverage yourself and to help people understand the value of what you provide.

2. Content

This is the biggest thing for any business: Online, Small or Corporation.

Content is what really matters.

The more content that you have, shows that you know what you’re talking about. If you’re a business without a website or a blog, you are leaving potential money on the table.

Communicating with prospects is key. The more information you produce will make you the go to expert in your field.

3. Network

It’s great that you have an LinkedIn account with over 1000 connections but that’s not what we’re talking about here.

Perhaps the most overlooked, undervalued, conventional method of generating leads is going to networking functions for trade associations, chambers of commerce and other organizations. The reason this is a great method for generating leads is because the other business people there actually need products and services because they are customers themselves.

Just a warning to you though, this method would actually mean that you have to do some actual work. Walking around and starting up conversations rather than standing around and counting down the minutes until it’s over. Give it a try, you might find yourself building great relationships with this method.

4. Alliance

I’m sure you have other businesses in your area that targets a market that similar to your own.

If you do, why not build an alliance with those other businesses? As long as they don’t offer a competing product or service and vice versa, this is a great way for you to generate leads for your business. The type of business that you would want to work with for this has to have a long history of treating their customers well.

Note: Be sure that you also have a great history of treating your customers well otherwise other businesses will be hesitant to work with you.

Lastly, must be willing to try new and innovative marketing strategies. Any idea is an idea worth trying if it will lead to more leads for both your and your alliance member(s).

5. Trade Shows

A very underrated method of generating leads and promoting your business. If you are going to use this as a method of getting more customers, make sure you know about your product.

In other words, make sure you are an expect in your field and possess the ability to communicate that with potential customers. If you choose the right trade show, many of the people you engage with will be prospects, so you have a great opportunity to convert them.

However, keep in mind that many of the people visiting your booth will be coming there for the freebies so you need to come up with a strategy to qualify genuine leads for your business.

6. Referrals

The most powerful method of generating leads for your business is by getting referrals from existing customers. Many businesses have done very well strictly on referrals and your business has the potential to do the same.

The key to building your business on referrals is to put out great products or provide great services from the start. If you’re not a new business, you can still ask your customers for referrals as long as you reward that client with a small gift, a discount or a handwritten note.

The biggest “lie” people can tell you is that they just don’t know how to generate leads for their business. As a business, you are armed with a wide variety of options to generate more business for your clients – you just have to stop procrastinating and actually do something about it.

Source: For more articles, visit www.shadeofinfo.com

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it matters on what Business you are into. So, you should have some strategy like session discounts or sales. Advertising is quite needed for any Business. You need to have correct mindset and be dedicated. Seek ways too promote your business, make some offers or contents if your business is forum. If you have book store, You can have offer of Buy 2 and Get 1 free by accommodating the price. So, you don't go in loss. If you run a restaurant, you can offer some services to regular customers.

3. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hmm..well what you will say about NEWSPAPERS..they have become an important part of our life...IF advertising will not be there..it will dreams of most of the people to read newspapers daily......

4. lynxus

lynxus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think with advertising is all about getting your ad right and placed on the correct medias.
    Posting ads about fishing on a brick laying website may be a little pointless?

5. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To a point it does matter what business you're in. However, ALMOST all businesses can generate leads from referrals, alliances/joint ventures and especially the thing that everybody, including me, says sells ... content.

6. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Newspapers and magazines are great ways to generate lead, however, they're not the be all end all ... Despite how much I actually like advertising that way, the majority of people, I feel, don't know other ways to advertise their business other than newspapers/magazines and social media. While doing that, they're only getting a fraction of the sales they could potentially get. I rather explore all aspects to generate leads and not leave money on the table. In business, you have to be constantly testing.

- - - - Posts Merged - - - -

Yep, I agree. You have to know where you're advertising and who your audience is.