General advice

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Paul_T, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Paul_T

Paul_T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and to starting a business, I am starting an IT business, repair, maintenance, installation, etc.

I have to admit I think my first mistake MAY have been registering a limited company, fortunately I have a free book keeper.

I'll explain my situation, I live at home with my parents and wife, it's a reasonable sized house and they're disabled, and keep pets, so working from home was a definite no go for me, I managed to ask favors from neighbors and local parish councillors, and also trustees from the local miners welfare community centre, and got myself a room for £150pcm all inclusive (Even internet).

I have all the insurance I need etc, I have a room, I have the rest of the equipment I need arriving sometime soon (Postal delays).

My problem comes now, I myself suffer from fibromyalgia, hence why I decided to start my own business, and my wife, company secretary, is under investigation for something she fell ill with not long ago, this happened to her just as the business start-up really took off, now I'm left looking after her, running her to and from doctors/hospital, staying up til 4am because she's in pain, and completely drained.
    With no business income, I can't afford any advertising.

Can anyone suggest a way forward on the advertising front? Funds are extremely limited due to being on DLA myself.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as I have been working towards starting this business for about 5 years, and I don't want it to fail now because of extremely bad luck.

2. Mountain Man

Mountain Man
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are some very inexpensive ways to advertise. I would suggest you start by contacting a few companies who you think could benefit from your services, either by phone or a letter, I would avoid e-mail unless you already have a contact. once you have your first job you can use some of the profits to do directed advertising. make some contacts, be creative. Do you have kijiji or Craigs list where you are? Since you have internet access, a quick search for "free advertising ideas" will get you started.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum Paul and sorry to hear that you are down on your luck. Similar to Mountain Man I'd also recommend cold calling companies and informing them about your services. Flyers might also work very well for you, you could keep costs by hand delivering them yourself.

Will your business be targeting individuals, businesses or both?

4. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Target audience?
    Price?
    Local business only or can you fix remotely?

Get yourself on some other UK centric and some local area related forums. Use Twitter to find local contacts.
    Cards in local shops, local free ad papers.

5. John Million

John Million
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Cold calling is definitely the way to go, but I did want to point out that Google Adwords pay per click ads can be designed in a very affordable way. If you target a very specific geographic area, think REALLY hard about what people that need your help might type into Google when searching, opt-out of the content network, and bid only on phrase-match or exact match keywords... you could be looking at a very cheap, very targeted campaign. Don't start a campaign unless the above makes sense to you. Here in the U.S., doing what I described might cost $10-15 a week, and would leave you only people very interested in getting IT help contacting you. Also, create your business page in Google local business center as well as Bing's. It's free and increases the chances of you being found.

6. DaveB

DaveB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First, I want to applaud your courage and I wish you luck in your endeavor and business.

I think you could utilize networking. Is there any local clubs or something in your area that can help you advertise your business? Do you have old friends in this industry or do they have contacts to help you spread your business through the old fashioned way?

Networking is a FREE and inexpensive way to advertise and spread your business.

7. Paul_T

Paul_T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks a lot for everyone's responses, I had already taken many of the suggested steps, but there are some of which I have not, so I am grateful for the help, and hope you all had a good Christmas.

8. D Unpredictable

D Unpredictable
    uix_expand uix_collapse

no business in this world , can give you the desired results or profits in that time period , which is considered to be a year . never lose hope . stay at your aim .

9. neha.lemon

neha.lemon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Paul_T !
    How you doing? Hope you are on your right track with right strategy. Local networking rather than online networking will help u a lot.

10. stevenricherd

stevenricherd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello Paul, you should stay positive in your life and don't think you are having a bad luck, i agree with Neha, internet marketing will not give you much support in your business, you should provide people some demo services to start with, and make your name popular in the associated business, then you can find some better work which can give you a good profit. It is never easy to start but it is all about the marketing strategy you follow, and also get a insurance cover for your business that will give you extra safety.