Funding Avenues needed...

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by Graveyard, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Graveyard

Graveyard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have worked in the Halloween/Party Supply business for the past 10+ years. I owned my own company and did very well up until 2001 when 9/11 took a huge hit on the company and it had to close. A few years after I had an opportunity to run a seasonal Halloween store. I worked as a manager for multiple stores for over 5 years. There were huge profits made and to be made if you run the business in a business format.
    Problems - owner was a spend thrift, family members who worked each year at other stores were drug addicts and stole inventory and money over and over, among other similar issues continued until now, they cannot even purchase inventory since they have been cut off for non-payment from vendors.

The stores I ran were were very successful, I have all the data, contacts, vendors, buy sheets, etc etc to make this a very successful run.

I need some avenues to get seed money to get this off the ground. Start up capital is $350K, with profits rangeing between 100-250K each and every year.

A - I am looking for seed money to get this going, any takers.. or ideas where to find people to help me get this venture off the ground.

Thanks.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Graveyard, thanks for joining and asking your business questions.

Your set up costs appear to be very high. Is that the cost to set up a single store? Are you including a cost for a property purchase in that estimate?

What country or state will the business be located in?

Have you prepared a business plan for the business. If this is something you want to do, you might find the business plan template links in our Useful Business Resources / Links thread very helpful.

Please post back with a little more info and we will do our best to help you.

3. Graveyard

Graveyard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That amount includes rental space for the season, wages, insurance, electricty, advertising, complete inventory buy, rental space clean-up, phones - and first year 1 time costs of racking, hooks, POS terminals, inventory software. Most Halloween/Party companies offer dating buys on your purchases, which allow you to get the inventory now and paay it back starting in Oct or first week in November.

4. miles2152

miles2152
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Graveyard, it sounds like you have a strong knowledge of the business. I would prepare a business plan as suggested and seek out some local investment clubs in your area. Many investors start these clubs and will pool their money together and invest in start-up companies through a silent partnership. By doing this it reduces their individual risk. These clubs exist, especially in larger cities which I presume you live in one. Do you have any assets you could use as collateral?

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Graveyard, do you intend on writing a business plan? Is there anything else we can help you with?

6. Graveyard

Graveyard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the adice, I will look into these options!

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

8. Graveyard

Graveyard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I will look into those, Thanks!!

9. fundbusiness

fundbusiness
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try a google search on unsecured business loans. They will always turn up lenders who will lend you the amount you need for your business.

#9 fundbusiness, May 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  10. Graveyard

Graveyard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Please... that is a waist of time... Does not happen...