Fully utilize hosting options for website, domain, storage etc.

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by CHAiNS, Jul 13, 2013.

1. CHAiNS

CHAiNS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi there,

I'm brand new to this forum, so please bear with me.

I am looking to fully utilize my host's (Jumpline) options for website, domain, storage etc. Being new to the subject, I barely understand what I can do and what knowledge is required.

They use cPanel (VPS Optimized 3). I have attached a screenshot of the options, but unfortunately it gets reduced to an unusable size. (Any suggestions here?)
    I don't actually need the anything other than the email function, but I am sure I will get hooked as soon as I understand what is possible, such as WebDisk.

So far I have managed to setup email accounts and put up a template website.

I got stuck at using the WebDisk function, as neither Windows nor Linux or Mac were able to access it after I followed the instruction provided.

Any help getting me started is much appreciated. Basically, what you want to achieve with the options available?

Thanks in advance,
    CHAiNS
    View attachment 1740

2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

cPanel has multiple functions and can be used to carry out various tasks such as adding Subdomains, Redirects, FTP, Managing databases and lot more.

WebDisk allows you to drag and drop files from your local system to your hosting account.

What are you looking to do with it?

3. CHAiNS

CHAiNS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Rocky,

Thanks for the prompt response. I am pretty much looking for a plain-text (non-technical) explanation of what's possible. I'm aware of the irony regarding non-technical explanations of technical matters, but I've seen it in many areas.

I download a lot of OS image files via torrent and store them along with applications and tools in my Dropbox. This seems rather inefficient and I have heard of terms such as "Seedbox" which looked interesting, but I was not able get one running, as I generally quickly stumble over discrepancies between the directions and requirements versus what I am presented with when I replicate those steps and settings; I always seems to have some exception :-(

I am aware of the names of the functions, such as FTP, Subdomains etc, but I would like to find out if they are of any possible use to me. Then I would happily invest time/effort/money to get them running. All I could find so far was WebDisk, but I cannot access any of the accounts I set up. The documentation that the host provides does not coincide with the actual options available, and I am still waiting for a response from their tech support.

I guess file storage combined with some torrent function is what I could use at this stage. Is it possible to download torrents (multiple GB) to my WebDisk and provide them to others without ever having to download them to my local machines via my ISP? Ergo, I want to basically use my host's facilities and keep everything "on the internet" without having to download, manipulate and then upload them to another location on the web.

4. MartinLeffie

MartinLeffie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am also looking for details to host a new site.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

MartinLeffie please start a new thread with any specific questions you have. You will receive much more helpful responses that way.