FTC bars Twitter for 20 years "from misleading customers" on privacy

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Kay, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Though what they can do after 20 years is the worry. :) Though it sounds strange, it's how the wheels of justice turn. This restriction opens the door for the FTC to fine them $16k every time they break it. This all came about after many high profile accounts, including Obama's, were compromised.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/24/ftc-twitter-privacy-settlement/

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That seems pretty fair. He won't have to serve any actual jail time, yet the suspended sentence is harsh enough for him to realise the seriousness of what he did. No one should expect to get off scot free after hacking into an account owned by one of the world's most powerful people.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree Fergal. Though why Obama would be using such an unsafe platform is beyond me. I know the government wants to make the most of social media platforms. This one understands the power of the internet more and is using that more than any previous administration ever did. You'd think they would have checked out the security side first though. What if the hacker had sent a message saying there had been or was an impending terrorist attack? There would have been chaos because no-one would have doubted the official source.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I wouldn't mind getting control of Obama's Twitter account :) he'd make some interesting tweets - he'd give visas to all the Irish living in the US, pull out of Iraq and recommend that all Americans get their business advice from BAF.