Freelancing Sites???

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by ChicoMatt, Feb 20, 2012.

1. ChicoMatt

ChicoMatt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi. I am looking at starting up a business and I was thinking of using a freelancing site such as freelancer, fiverr, elancer, guru, etc. Before I take the plunge though I would like to know if anyone has had some experience in dealing with these types of sites? Would you recommend one? What did you have them build? Was it cost effective? etc. basically your whole experience. Any and all details would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

2. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd be interested in seeing the comments here. I have only used sites to have content written and the results have been pretty poor across the board. However, I was trying to pick up some cheap content, and the old saying "you get what you pay for" unfortunately held true.

I have a couple of very small programming tweaks I have been thinking about putting on a freelance site. If I do, I'll post a follow-up in this thread.

3. amac

amac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Used oDesk and Elance primarily. I've had mostly positive experiences with both. "Mostly" being that like all marketplaces, you will have good and bad experiences.

However, if you screen candidates and explicitly define the work you're offering to a contractor, you will have success as there are some very talented people on these marketplaces.

4. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've got some good experience with freelancers and I've also outsourced to freelancers on several forums as well. My experience has been mixed, sometimes the results were good enough but sometimes they were very poor.

Fiverr

I've used Fiverr several of times for getting cheap backlinks. The experience was good compared to the service you get at that low price. If you're expecting good quality service then Fiverr is not your place in my opinion. You can move on to some other sites if you require good quality. If quality is not your concern then you can grab good deals here.

Freelancer.com

I've used Freelancer.com two times till now. One time it was for getting a good programmer for one of my project and another time it was for getting several content writers. The first experience with the programmer was good and the guy whom I hired did completed the job on time and very much as I expected. The experience another time was not that good. The writers I got were not that good and some where really very poor.

Other than that, I've used webmaster forums like Digital Point to hire people for small tasks and the experience was good enough. So, I recommend using such forums if you know perfectly what you're doing.

Just an general advice while outsourcing will be not to pay anyone in advance before they've completed your work. The chances of getting scammed are really high so you need to be very careful while dealing with this people. And also on many sites they've kept a way to check the reviews of past work of a freelancer so that will also help you in choosing proper candidate for your work.

Good Luck,
    Sahil

• Like Like x 1
  5. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I usually use oDesk and skillpages to find a freelance job (only searching lol :D ) but you can try to look up a list here: freelanceswitch.com/finding/the-monster-list-of-freelancing-job-sites/

6. mackey

mackey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I suggest to hire a Staff leasing company instead of a freelancer. because leased staff are permanent workers of a company and are easy to reach in case you need them. Freelancers do not have employers so they do as they please and sometimes cannot be contacted for various reasons. the staff that you lease in an outsourcing company are backed by a good management and technical team also, your files and data are secured and confidential.
    The staff that you lease are 100% working for you and dedicated the people you found at those sites are all freelancers. working from home and maybe working with other clients at the same time.

7. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've actually advertised a couple of times on FreelanceSwitch and it's been great.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Before answer your question, it will be better if you can tell that what kind of business you going to run or which position / what type of skill you are looking for. As per my experience, each freelancer site have it advantage and disadvantage, it depends on what type of skill you are looking for

9. amit

amit
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are many website search on freelancing website.

10. John Crosby

John Crosby
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i think there are many risks on such websites..

11. Natalie

Natalie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree, there is a kind of risk on such sites, you can be cheated, but i think that you have to try

12. amac

amac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like any marketplace I guess, you will most likely have a mixed experience i.e mostly positive, but the possibility of a bad experience is always there.

I've personally used oDesk and Elance without any problems. Screening candidates properly and being realistic with your requirements should help to ensure you have a good experience.

13. Eugene24

Eugene24
    uix_expand uix_collapse

in everything there is a risk, for such way there are many websites on this them.

14. JCOnline

JCOnline
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I liked the Fiverr ;)

15. NickName

NickName
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Try to lurk all there sites and decide which is better. Read about them on other forums.

16. riteshnarula

riteshnarula
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Many free lancing sites are fake so please be careful.

17. RegAddking

RegAddking
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Hire guys who have lots of good reviews;
    • Keep your spec as simple as possible to undertand;
    • Copy good ideas from other people's specs;
    • Hire someone who's done a similar job before, with a good review;
    • Pay in stages;
    • Break the task down, if you can, into pieces which, if delivered, can be used as-is by you.

18. Eugene24

Eugene24
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you, there are a lot of freelance site where you can lost money and time, such sites usually belong to one company and this company always looks for freelances who ready to work free of charge.

19. ThirdSEO

ThirdSEO
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's because you're not working with a company like Third that's ranked in the top 5% for online article writing ;)

If you're looking for Internet marketing, we're in the top 1% :D

20. Shahrier

Shahrier
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Freelancing sites such as fiverr are pretty easy to make. It's just hard to get the traffic.

You just have to buy a script.