Freelance Writers -- Website Advice?

Discussion in 'Starting a Business' started by RJWilde, Nov 9, 2017.

1. RJWilde

RJWilde
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey there!

Just wondering if there are any freelance writers out there. I'm a writer/copy editor, and I want to put together a website, but I'm not sure about the best way to display samples of my work? Downloadable PDFS? Screenshots? Copy/Paste?

What did you do, and why?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Rather than display samples of your work, I think you should mention who you wrote for, and what types of writing you have done. If someone wants to see samples of your work, they can request them. You can then put them in whatever format you prefer, and then send the file, or a link to it to them via email. One way to determine how you should build your website is to do a Google search to see what others have done, and do something similar.

3. Cam_iwc

Cam_iwc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I second the answer above. But to reply to your question, I'd use screenshots (and ask past clients permission to use them). You don't want to make potential clients work hard to find your work (they won't!). And if you have samples you can only share as PDFs (for whatever reason), then tease with the work you did and why it's relevant to them. Hope this helps. :)

4. RJWilde

RJWilde
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great advice! Thanks all!

5. Brooke Harper

Brooke Harper
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I was still doing Freelancing, samples of my work are always in screenshots when I share them with my clients. They'd just like to have an idea of what you have been doing really. About the website though, I agree with Joseph, look up other freelancers and get ideas.

6. allcitycleaning

allcitycleaning
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In addition to the web site I suggest you look into guru.com and elance.com This is where I have gotten freelancers for my projects and they have a structure for you to post examples of your work.

Julia
    All City Cleaning Service Olympia