Freelance or permanent

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by James Greg, Jul 3, 2012.

1. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How would you rate to working as freelancer than being permanently employed? And is getting work through odesk and other freelance sites any good? Or should you have your own website and find work through it?

If you are a freelancer writer or a designer, could you earn equal to a permanent job?

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It really depends on how good you are on getting customer if you are freelancer, as a freelancer, the income might not as stable as permanent job but you will earn better if you are able to get more customer and work hard

3. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It greatly depends, James Greg.

When you are working on a permanent job, ADVANTAGES are:

1. You surely get paid every month or every pay day set by your company
    2. You have benefits to expect and enjoy
    3. Permanently employed means continuous work, and that means continuous payment and may even spark a career growth and professional development within the business or corporate setting you are into.
    There is possible growth as well in terms of knowledge, skills and experience.

However:
    1. You have to always deal with your boss.
    2. You have to follow business / corporate policies / rules, etc.
    3. You have to travel going to work (that is if you are not home-based)

Being a freelance:
    1. Allows you to make use of your OWN time wisely.
    2. No boss to deal with, just clients to explain to.
    3. You can do what you want and what you think should be done, without others possibly limiting you on it.
    4. There is possible growth as well in terms of knowledge, skills and experience.
    5. May earn more from a casual "permanently employed" individual depending on the type of work and service you render as a freelancer.

However,
    1. No work, no pay
    2. Your pay depends on the type of service / task you render. It may be high or low.
    3. Growth is not that same in a corporate or business setting as it is somewhat an outside growth on your own.
    4. You have so many competitors to compete with to get jobs done and be better than them.

Thanks,
    Mark T.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Greg-first

Greg-first
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Of course there are problems. First and very big - you don't have time for freelance work.
    As for me, better freelance work, because you work for yourself and directly communicate with customers etc. But:
    You must be a true professional to working as a freelancer.

5. James Greg

James Greg
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is a reality "No work, no pay". Working as a freelancer surely needs to have a professional attitude so that you would earn a stable amount. I am trying my luck in the freelance field. I see that working in a professional manner provides me more money than my day job, but the same problem. Working as a freelancer requires a professional attitude to have the money coming in. Delivering the work on time is a huge factor here. Taking a day off surely means that I earn nothing, but I think it surely teaches how to deal with clients.