Free or paid?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Bazinga!, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Bazinga!

Bazinga!
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Which do you think is better to use, free hosting or paid hosting? If you are using either, what are the pros and cons your hosting?

I am using a free hosting for my forum and I can't really say I have a lot of complaints about it. It has everything that I need to run my forum and I've never had my forum crash or have any down time. The only bad thing it the advertisements on my forum but I know that's how I'm getting the hosting for free is because of those advertisements. However, there is a way around that. You can purchase credits from the hosting service and you can use those credits for a variety of things and one of those things is having the advertisements removed from your forum.

What about you guys? What are your opinions on free or paid hosting? Which do you think is better?

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have had used free hosting in past. I would not recommend free hosting because you don't know it' uptime, downtime or it's expiry date because it' free. The service can vanish at any time. However, If your friend owns a Hosting company and gives you hosting account for free then it could last long as far the relationship is good. :)

I think paid hosting is good as it won't cost much for a simple website and is affordable. There are reputed Hosting companies for this.

3. Multima$tery

Multima$tery
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't recommend using free hosting because you have far less control of your site than if you were paying money for it. That's basically with everything in life. If you are content with the free hosting than go right ahead - but just be aware of the risk you are taking by not owning your own hosting. And if you continue the free route, you should backup everything you can (userbase, posts, everything!) because a free hosting service can vanish at any time - without warning - and take your precious site with it.

4. WebNet Host

WebNet Host
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paid hosting is a much better choice than free web hosting. You may spend a few bucks each month, but paid hosting allows you to maintain the professionalism of your website. Free web hosting might be an option for individuals who only have a 2-3 page website, or a small blog. Students who need a website for a class could also choose free web hosting. However, if you are a company, a business owner, or want an e-Commerce site, you should go with paid web hosting.

5. AJKpeter

AJKpeter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There is nothing free, you will always pay when not with your money but with personal data, ads or something else, I'd suggest to pay with some free cash

6. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Like you said there are ads on your forum, so the hosting is not really free. If you forum has good traffic then you can use ads for earning revenue and get yourself paid hosting. This would allow you to earn as well as get better hosting services and avoid all the disadvantages of free hosting that have already been mentioned. Things might be good now but it may not last for long.

And talking about purchasing credits for getting rid of ads you would have to pay for those. Instead you can pay for your hosting and control you site in a better manner.

7. Trevor

Trevor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

paid hositing is best,
    How you can determine what you need for your services.
    1. Customer Service
    Nearly every web designer has been seduced by the lure of free or extremely cheap web hosting. But the first time something goes wrong, they discover why choosing a web hosting provider solely on price is not a good idea.
    2. Disk Space
    The disk space is the amount of space that you are allocated for your website. Some hosting providers offer unlimited space, while others allocate space at a cost. Either way, you should make sure you have a plan that offers you at least 20% more space than you’re currently using or plan to use. That gives you some room for growth.
    3. Bandwidth
    Bandwidth is the amount of data that your website can pass to customers over a period of time. Some hosting providers offer unlimited bandwidth, while others charge different prices for the amount you use. Make sure that you know what will happen if your site goes over the allocated bandwidth, and that you’ve got enough to support the people viewing your site.
    4. Uptime
    Uptime is the percentage of time that the hosting server has been up. Most hosting services will announce huge percentages like 99.9% to 99.999% uptime. While you do want a server that is up and running more often than it’s not, the reality is that all hosts go down, and even 99.999% uptime is more than 8 hours in a year.
    5. Programming Services
    While you can create web pages with just HTML and CSS, most designers and developers will eventually want some type of programming and database ability. This includes languages like PHP and ASP as well as databases.
    6. Domain Names and Other Services
    Many hosting providers distinguish themselves by offering services beyond hosting. These include domain names, content management, fancy web analytics tools, and more.
    7. Price
    While I don’t recommend using price as your only evaluation, it shouldn’t be your most important one either. In most cases, you can find a provider with all of your requirements for a price that is worthwhile. Free web hosting may seem like the best way to go, but most free hosts pay for the services with advertising that is placed on your website. There also may be extreme rules about what can be posted on your site.

8. Greg-Netost

Greg-Netost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would recommend paid hosting over a free hosting. You can easily find a good host for a very reasonable price.

Paid hosting is more reliable than free hosting. If it is for business purpose than go for paid hosting as it is better to spend some money instead to take any risk. In most paid hosting customer get 24/7 technical support. However in free hosting you may experience great delay in getting reply to your support related queries. Free hosting has many other drawbacks as well. Free hosting server are normally oversold and also loaded with advertising which not only slows down your websites but may at times also result in sites being unresolved. Free hosting is less secured moreover you may not get all hosting features. There could be other disadvantages of free hosting as well.

9. kamilrafik

kamilrafik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recommend you to compare Terms of Services of your hosting with some paid one. You will understand easily where is the difference.

10. Interactiveonlin

Interactiveonlin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, never seen good stable free hosts, nowadays hosting providers are offer so low prices almost free :)

11. scarlettjack

scarlettjack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Free hosting is not good the reason is free ads appear on your web and anytime free host go down so it is better to pick paid one.

Paid hosting has lot of advantages.

12. EUWindowsHost

EUWindowsHost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

there’s no such thing as a free hosting. Free isn’t necessarily free, and what has a zero start-up cost may end up costing you big in the end. Free hosting companies will normally make up the cost of providing the service for free by spamming your page with pop-up and banner ads. As the site owner you have no control over what ads appear on your site and where they appear. With paid hosting you and your visitors don’t have to deal with any annoying ads appearing on your site.

13. muzzo

muzzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I recommend paid hosting because that was secure and not would be disable with out your conformation

14. boysingh

boysingh
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do agree with this, hmm, if you are just doing a website for temporary purposes only, you can just use free hosting or other free blogging platforms, but if you're thinking for a long term plan for a website, just go for paid..

15. Clarence.Burn

Clarence.Burn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some of the free hosting are not good because you would not know if it is expired I recommend paid for the good quality and updated hosting in affordable price.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jamie1

Jamie1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly, maybe I am being too harsh here, but when it comes to doing business, I think that using free hosting is inherently tacky. If you want me to take you seriously, I would expect you to spend some time and spend the money to make your site yours rather than rely on something free of charge.

17. mehrishaly

mehrishaly
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paid hosting is better because it is safe without ads and 24/7 live :)

18. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can't see a point of using free hosting ;P If it isn't problem for your users and you to have ads on forum, why don't you buy paid hosting and put ads on yourself and earn from them? If your website is good quality and have traffic, you will earn more than those few bucks you paid for hosting ;) And in most cases, you get better standards and more features on paid services.

19. shaadisankalp

shaadisankalp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

here is nothing free, you will always pay when not with your money but with personal data, ads or something else, I'd suggest to pay with some free cash

20. scarlettjack

scarlettjack
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Paid host is better because it uptime 24/7