Free Anti-Virus Software from Micro$oft

Discussion in 'Computer Questions, Issues & Security' started by GekiDan, Sep 30, 2009.

1. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

REDMOND, Washington — Microsoft Corp. says its new computer security program can be downloaded starting on Tuesday.

Microsoft Security Essentials, as the free antivirus software is called, has been available in a beta test version since June.

The software updates daily to stay current with the latest malicious programs, which can steal passwords or turn PCs into spam servers. Microsoft says it won't make computers run slower.

Microsoft has said it isn't out to steal business from companies like McAfee Inc. and Symantec Corp., which make popular antivirus programs with more features. Microsoft says it hopes the free program will appeal to people who don't already run antivirus software. - AP

Source: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/173358/microsoft-to-release-free-antivirus-pc-software

It's good to see Micro$oft is making a FREE software for all.
    We all know that Micro$oft is one of those $$$ milking company that's known for expensive softwares and such. It's a shock to hear this GOOD news.

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a good news for all the computer user. I believed that microsoft running this policy to keep the windows user since google will launch the OS, they are scare to lose the user. Good competition will always benefit to the consumer. No more monopoly :)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for sharing that with us GekiDan, that will be great news for many people. You can download the software and get further information at Microsoft Security Essentials.

I've got ESET running on my machine. I wonder would it be a mistake to download this new Microsoft product and run it on the same PC as ESET?

4. dahlia84

dahlia84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That is really a good news for all the windoZe users :) As a precautionary measure I would suggest all you guys to have a primary Anti-virus and use this one as a secondary.

Just a friendly advice...

5. eddielkk

eddielkk
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think microsoft may have suffer from their bad reputation and their fail windows vista OS, now that is good moves for them to give some freebies to their loyal supporter. If not when google launhed their new OS, they will getting more trouble to monopoly the market.

6. dahlia84

dahlia84
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We can not say that! Don't we all know the hype created for Google Chrome and the end-result of it? Google is not GOD. It is just a company. They also have their own failures amidst their massive successes :)

7. prospect565

prospect565
    uix_expand uix_collapse

thankx alot for the info...microsoft is the best...it gives u anything and everything u need for ur operating system to work in an awesome way...thumbs up to microsoft...

8. Specter

Specter
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Microsoft is giving something for free? Wow i am amazed
    After zillions made, finally they are getting less greedy
    Well better late than never

9. marksmith

marksmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Although there are lots of anti-virus and anti-malware programs available (many which are also free), perhaps the Microsoft name and easy integration into Windows can help users who might not be familiar with some of the available programs get and stay protected.

Microsoft says that Security Essentials is designed to run quietly in the background (no constant UAC alerts) and that it doesn’t hog CPU or memory usage. A constant complaint about some of the bigger name security suites is that they slow down the computer’s overall performance. Security Essentials also uses what Microsoft calls its Dynamic Signature Service, which is supposed to ensure that users are always protected and up-to-date, without having to wait for the next scheduled download.

Thanks