Free and Unlimited Webhosting

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Sprinkles, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Sprinkles

Sprinkles
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Is it true that there no such thing as unlimited when it comes to web hosting.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

In my opinion everything is limited in some way. Hence, I am always wary of hosting companies that offer unlimited space or bandwidth.

3. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

On shared hosting plans it's not uncommon to see plans that offer unlimited space and bandwidth. Most reputable companies will have resource limitations placed on CPU and memory usage when dealing with shared accounts. This is why shared hosting is relatively inexpensive and you see so many offers for unlimited space and bandwidth. You'll hit the CPU limits or memory limits far before your space and bandwidth usage become an issue. I wouldn't be wary of unlimited space and bandwidth when it comes to shared hosting as long as the provider properly manages their servers.

I would be wary if you see unlimited space and bandwidth on Reseller plans or VPS or Semi-dedicated, however. These plans by design allow the client to add more accounts. More accounts = more files. More files and traffic = more bandwidth and those resources will get used up quickly. It's not a sustainable business plan and definitely a red flag, IMO.

To offer unlimited space and bandwidth on a shared hosting plan is simply saying we're not worrying about it because as long as you abide by the TOS, your space and bandwidth usage will never be a problem for the host.

• Like Like x 1
  4. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, there is nothing called unlimited in webhosting but If someone says unlimited, it might mean a huge amount of TB space. But it would be limited in some way. We can still find some free webhosting.

5. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Offering Unlimited is simply a marketing gimmick. There is not such thing as Unlimited bandwidth there are other restrictions which always prevent you from using resources after some extent.

6. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Obviously unlimited is impossible, but if they don't somewhere specify an actual amount of space you are within your rights to use as much as you like, but be careful with hosting companies like that.